SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_27597981

Foundation plantings on a mature lot and do I need more trees?

User
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I am nearing completion of a new home on a mature lot. Lot size is 2-3/4 acres. It faces south. I'm in the state of Oregon USDA zone 8b. We have (mostly) mild winters and we get lots of rain three seasons out of four. Summers are dry and warm - sometimes hot. We do not water our grass in the summer.

We threw down some grass seed in the front of the home last fall just so we wouldn't have to deal with walking through mud, with the knowledge that we would be ready this fall for landscaping to begin.

I know what type of plantings I like, but I guess I'm stuck on is what SHAPE the foundation beds should take out front , sides and back of the home. Do I just stick with traditional rectangles? I really have no clue on what might look good.

Also, we extended our roof overhangs so we would never have the sun coming through the south-facing front windows in the summertime, so we really don't need a tree for shade in the front yard. I guess some type of ornamental tree - or maybe two? And where we would we place them? Thank you for any suggestions you may have.

Close ups of front yard

The sides and back will have to be for another day!

Comments (2)