SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
igozoom30183

Getting rid of stale urine smell on tile floor?

Jason R
7 years ago

The men's restroom at the store where I work has a horrible stale urine smell that we haven't been able to eradicate using regular cleaning chemicals. I've tried scrubbing the toilet and the surrounding floor with Lysol, then mopping with it. I've repeated the process with bleach and water (approx. 1 part bleach to 3 parts water). The bleach helped a bit, but it is still unacceptable to me. I hate filthy public restrooms and I'm pretty sure that I'm the only Store Manager in the entire company that cleans my own bathrooms. But if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself...at least in this case.

The floor is a commercial grade ceramic-like tile (8x8 or 10x10) and it has grout between the tiles. I'm thinking that the smell may be coming from the grout? I may try to clean it again with bleach, but I was wondering if Vinegar and Baking Soda (possibly with lemon juice for good measure) might do the trick? Vinegar and baking soda has performed miracles for me before (removed soured milk from carpet and the padding underneath).

Any suggestions or ideas? Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (10)