SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
finsup

Fixer upper & budget nearly gone..MOLD in Bathroom walls! Need ideas

Carol
7 years ago

I purchased a fixer upper in Bham Alabama. In brief, a split level house and the entire basement needed electrical, drywall, trim, and floors -- save the tiny bathroom. It is ugly and dated, but I thought it would stay. Pulling down wallpaper (that was covered by 80s faux texture ugliness). I hit the outside wall, and the drywall CRUMBLED... the wall was covered in poly and the wood framing (attached to the cinder block) was MOLDY... I pulled more, the shower tile is ready to cave in.

GLAD I caught it while the crew is still here drywalling the rest of the basement (water issue taken care of with gutters and drains (and the main issue was a hot water heater leak when the owner was out of town).

Now, though, the budget is nearly gone and I have to reframe and drywall the bathroom. I have to redo the shower at the very least...even if I keep the mauve tile and dated vanity.

A high end bath won't matter for this house for me or resale, but I would love it clean and nice. It is only 36" wide and 48" deep. Is my best and most economical option just getting shower prefab walls? http://www.us.kohler.com/us/Choreograph-48-x-36-x-96-shower-wall-kit/productDetail/shower-walls/1093319.htm?skuId=1096337

Or, would I be better of with new tile? I'm going to have to keep the original toilet for now...any great discounters for shower prefabs? Suggestions?

Comments (3)