SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

Finally, my last "first bloom"--Broceliande

dublinbay z6 (KS)
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Belatedly she comes along, and I'm not sure she is even the right color (isn't she too pink?)--but it might take a few more efforts before she gets her act all together. I'm just glad she turned out to be the right rose. I ordered her (a hybrid tea) and 3 low-growing sprawlers (Toscana Vigoroso) to plant around the bird bath, but the nursery switched the labels, and the mislabeled Broceliande got planted by the birdbath, while the mislabeled Toscana got planted in the middle of the rosebed.

I kept looking at the birdbath plantings wondering why the one on the south side was so much redder and growing taller and twice as fast. Then I noticed that the one in the rose bed was rather low-growning, etc. Finally a light bulb went on--they switched roses on me. So there I was in late May, digging up the newly planted roses and transplanting them to their proper places--hoping that I knew what I was doing.

The Toscana Vigorosas around the birdbath have all bloomed and are correct, and finally this one has bloomed--and it looks correct to me also. This is Broceliande, isn't it?

Now I have two stripeys in my gardens (Red Intuition also). However, now that I think of it, this one should be more red and yellow and white, shouldn't? I hope they didn't substitute a different stripey. The label on the Toscana did say "Broceliande."

Kate

Comments (7)

• User
    7 years ago

I looked at HMF and see what you mean. It still looks very much like 'Broceliande' to me. Perhaps a matter of night temps. The bluey-pink would change when on a yellow base.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    7 years ago

Nice looking bloom!

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    7 years ago

Just saw this yesterday at the Columbus Park of Roses and it looked very similar to yours. Is it robust? Their planting was under-performing with scrawny growth and scant bloom, but it may have been a new bush.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Vaporvac, just to clarify, was it labeled as "Broceliande" or do you mean that you saw a rose that looked like mine?

Kate

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    7 years ago

It was labelled "Broceliande" and I marked it down in my notebook as very pretty and healthy! I recall it looking like your pic, but it was VERY HOT and SUNNY! Maybe it got washed out.

• Henrik (Sweden, USDA 4-5)
    7 years ago

I'm growing Broceliande in a pot and in my climate (Sweden) it usually starts out yellow-red and as the flower ages the yellow fades to white-ish and the red fades to pink-ish, but it can be variable (though I don't recall it ever being quite as pink as on your pictures).

Here are a couple of pictures of mine:

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Henrik--I was expecting my Broceliande to look like yours. That's why I was questioning above whether mine really is Broceliande. However, maybe it just needs some time to mature. From where I was working this morning, I think I saw Borceliande (in another bed) showing some kinda reddish/rust colors. When it cools off this evening (at least, hoping it does), I check it and take a pic if the new blooms are noticeably different from those first two blooms.

Kate