SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroline94535

Shading it old-school

caroline94535
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

The breakfast nook and kitchen sink windows face due south. The large garage and driveway reflect light and heat into these windows and can make the house temps unbearable.

When we bought the place, built around 1948, it had articulated metal awnings on these windows, plus on the west-facing kitchen window. The paint was chipped and flaking, the pulley ropes were rotted and caused the awnings to hang cockeyed. Cooler or not, DH couldn't stand them any more.

They were too useful, too well made, and too funky to just toss, so I found a man to strip the paint, then prime and repaint them. He used garage door paint. He added new ropes and brackets so they could hang on the slightly larger, new windows.

My house is at least 15 degrees cooler when these blinds are lowered in the summer. When fall arrives, we pull the ropes and the blinds fold up neatly above the tops of the windows to allow all the southern winter sun to come in.

Keep in mind our growing season is just beginning, so the garden looks rather sparce right now!

BEFORE - Here's the smaller, old window and the awning in its old, beat up, and peeling condition. The new double paned windows are wonderful.

That "ugly" vent? That's the outside ventilation for the stove fan. It's wonderful to have all the cooking odors and smoke (I cook with abandon!) go directly outside.

The new (still imaginary) kitchen will have a Vent-a-Hood that vents up through, and out of, the roof. Someday.

A good power wash didn't hurt anything, either.

This photo was taken the day we closed on the house. The real estate agent, in the tie, had to hurry off to attend his college graduation an hour later. The former owner is in the back center.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio