SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
martinson3

rose slugs...can I cut off affected leaves???

terry bartinson zone 3a NorthWest Ontario C
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi all. First post here. Hope someone can help please.

Got rose slugs bad on 2 bushes. It's mid June here in NW Ont. Not sure what to do. Should I cut all the affected leaves off...there are a LOT of them. Just leave them on now and hope for the best? I did spray for the first time yesterday with insecticidal soap.

In my defence, I get blackspot to some degree every year. So this year have been spraying with milk once a week for the last month or so. 2 weeks ago the leaves were perfect. Then I noticed some whiteish/grayish spots on them. Thought it was a residue from the milk. Then I saw some holes and thought they were cutter bees (which I knew were harmless). Wrong!! Discovered just a couple days ago a little green worm like thing on the underside of many leaves. Never had them before. Man, can those little buggers ever eat.

I'm sure these critters are rose slugs-the hairy ones. I've read there can be up to SIX infestations a year. Roses are flowering now, tons of buds yet to open. And they usually flower again later in summer, early fall. Don't want to lose them. Would appreciate hearing any suggestions regarding what to do at this stage of the game. Thanks.

Comments (9)