SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
saplumeria

Ariocarpus fissuratus giving back to nature.

saplumeria
7 years ago

I found these cactus while hunting along the Rio Grande. I saw a flower that looked to be growing out of the ground. Upon further inspection I saw that there was actually a small cactus underneath it. I have never seen anything like it so I had to find out the name. After searching for a name I was surprised to find out it was a rare cactus. So I got to thinking, I like growing plants that interest me, and it's rare. So I'm going to try and grow some from seed, and do my part to give back to nature since it introduced me to this amazing very slow growing cactus. So I am starting this long journey now. My plan it to plant 200 of them on my father's 100 acres. This will probably take 3 years, so I'll be posting updates for a while.

Now that I got that out of the way. I must admit I have never grow cactus. So I am sure to make some mistakes along the way, but I will document them on here so that others may learn from them. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Let's get started.

I microwaved some seeds starter for 2 minutes.

Washed out a pot sticker container to use as a greenhouse, and to help keep the humidity level up.

I used a spray bottle to saturate the soil. Once the water soaked in I sprinkled 100 seeds on top. If you look closely you can see the seeds on top.

Now put the top on the container and sit it on a heat mat. I have the heat mat outside under a covered patio.
This is a look at some seeds I planted about a month ago.

Comments (233)