SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crystal_meaux

Where have all the (female) flowers gone?

Crystal Meaux
7 years ago

I'm in St Louis Missouri. I have several different types of plants planted in containers. Earlier this year the zucchinis for flowering like crazy. There were both male and female flowers. I was hand fertilizing, although it seems like I wasn't doing that great of a job since only 3 of the many I tried to pollinate set fruit. Even though I have 6 plants there are only male flowers now. What's up with that?

Additionally I wanted two types of cucumbers. I have two of one type (either pickling or straight eight) that was producing tons of female flowers. The three other cucumber plants don't seem to have produced any at all. Is that type? Will some cucumber plants produce all male flowers for several weeks before making females?

And finally my son is growing pumpkins. We have quite a few flowers on them but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for as far as male female flowers. Do female pumpkin flowers look like they have little pumpkins on them like the zucchini look like they have little zucchini?

Comments (11)