SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cheryl_hewitt80

Second island: 42" bar height - will it look odd?

Cheryl Hewitt
7 years ago

We are contemplating putting in a second island which would be bar height (42") with a 12" overhang for seating. (36" x 100") The island would house several ovens.

Would it look peculiar to have the entire island raised to 42"? I like the idea, because it would raise the ovens higher off the floor (less bending) and leave enough room for a drawer(s) below, and I might be able to talk the BF into a steam oven in addition to the other two ovens. (Dreaming of having an Advantium speed oven, over a steam oven with a convection oven beside them.) We're planning on adding a small microwave for times when the speed oven is busy and a microwave is needed. Adding the second island would allow a home for this, too.

NOTE: We use the dining room for meals as a family. We envision the second island being used by the kids at other times and also by guests when they hang out with us in the kitchen during meal prep, and by the kids when we have overflow when entertaining.

Do you think it would look odd to have one island at standard counter height and the other at bar height? Would the higher island look like a big block if the entire island is 42" high?

I am using Excel to lay out a rough kitchen plan before presenting this to a KD, so please forgive the lack of finesse. I am posting one image of the full layout, and another two images (left half/right half), because the kitchen is so long (27') that it's hard to view on here.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company