SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnson0476

Rent-to-Own from Parents-in-Law

johnson0476
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

My husband and I rent to own an old house (built in 1970s) on a 7 ac. lot from his parents. Until recently, we were planning to buy the property (land and old house) from his parents , and build our new dream home on the land after we demolish the old house. He signed the agreement with his parents before we got married. Otherwise, I would have not agreed to buy this house and land because it's a waste of money to be paying for an old house that you want to demolish later and build your own.
Last year, a 50 acres lot came up for sale close to where we live, and both of us really liked it. We were able to purchase the land and are hoping to build a house there in the next 1-2 years.
I hate that we have already paid so much into this old house (for lease payments and we also did some remodeling) and we are basically going to loose all this since we are not going to buy his parents' land. We have already paid in lease payments half of what the lease purchase price was.
I think we could possibly pay his parents the rest of the lease purchase price and buy the land & the old house, and then sell the property to someone else. That way, we wont be loosing all the lease payments we have already paid. But I dont think his parents will like this idea (this lease property is connected to their land and they use the 7 ac land for pasture for their cows since we dont do anything with it). Do you have any other suggestions, what could we do in this situation?

Comments (21)