SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luis_castro35

Mature Camellia losing all of its leaves

Luis Castro
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Two years ago I bought a house in Southern California with two mature camellia bushes. Both bushes were very healthy with dark glossy leaves and flowers in January. I initially watered them briskly about about three times a week, but, with our state's water restrictions, I now water them twice a week. The younger bush (about 20 years old and eastern-facing) has suddenly begun losing its leaves in abundance -- so much so that I can now see through it (it used to be dense) and many of the branches on one side are bare. Most of the leaves turn brown and brittle before dropping off, although I also lose green leaves. Despite the drought, I don't know why this is happening, as I still water briskly and the bush still flowers and gets lots of new leaves in the spring (though not on the barren side); I also try to keep the ground around it a little moist. But then a couple months later, everything starts dropping off again. I'm just sick that I'm killing this once-healthy bush. The other bush (which is older and larger) is still lush but is now beginning to lose all of its interior leaves, too, which is how the younger bush started its decline. Am I watering too much? Not enough? Help!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
    More Discussions