SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
krista_anthony20

Are high-end windows worth it?

Krista Anthony
7 years ago

We have rot and need to replace 4 casement windows. We got some quotes and the costs are 3x what I was expecting.
The yard is shady and the windows are in a brick wall, so they retain water. We plan to be in this house a long time (30+ years).
These windows do not face the street, but they are inlaid in an attractive brick wall that adds a lot of character to our home, so I wonder if we'll cheapen the design by putting in a cheap window. We currently have diamond grilles and want to maintain some kind of element like this.
Is it worth it to pay about $3000 for high-quality wood windows from a company like Pella or Andersen? Or is this exorbitant? Do you get what you pay for when it comes to windows?
We have the money since we sold a second home this year, and I'd rather cough up the money now for windows that are going to last and that add architectural details to our colonial style home (worth about $410K), but we're looking at $12 -13K, and have other home improvement projects we need/want to do, and my gut reaction is that this is crazy and we're probably being "materialistic" putting in high-end windows that we don't "need." Or do we need them? Windows are a rather important feature and may be an area worth putting money into.
Experiences? Suggestions?

Comments (2)