SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rebunky

Does this 1/3 offset tile pattern work for my backsplash?

rebunky
7 years ago

Ok folks, I have had my tiles for a few weeks now. They are 3" x 9". Love them. Jeffrey Court, Breakwater, chapter 10 in the sea color.

I have been playing around with the layout. I need to make a decision already!

For those that remember my ABB thread, I did end up ordering that pencil liner. Here is my old thread for reference.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/3712054/did-i-finally-find-the-one-am-i-actually-getting-out-of-abb?n=64

I originally wanted to use it somehow as a simple border as shown, but not with the spider vein tiles, ooops I mean the lovely coral square tiles at the counter. They did not come in plain squares.

I thought maybe we could cut the 3x9 into squares, but that was seeming like more work then it was worth. I then thought about just using a 3x9 with the liner, but that didn't do it for me. So I scrapped the idea. I am definitely feeling much happier. K.I.S.S right?

I still want to use the liner somewhere of course. I have another idea that I'll post about next.

But first, the field tile. You all know what a regular running bond pattern looks like. I could play it safe and go with that pattern everywhere.

Or, what do you think about doing a 1/3 offset pattern?

I am not exactly sure why, but I am leaning toward it. I think it is because it looks a little different then the normal brick subway backsplash I'm used to seeing all the time. Since mine is 3x9 maybe it is different enough?

I definitely like both patterns. Would love to hear your feedback.

Here is a mockup of the 1/3 offset. It is pretty close to scale. Does it look ok?

I didn't mock up the 1/2 brick layout Since I'm sure that would work fine.

(Btw, ignore the unfinished ceiling and that recessed light needs to move out more.)

Now, grout color. I tried several. One was very close to the grey green in the tile. I thought it would be perfect, but it would change to weird colors at different times of day and night. I didn't like it. Same with a light gray and an off white. The plain bright white looked the best. That is what the sample board used as well. Do you think the white works okay?

Here is a close up of the tile. Its hard to capture, but it has a look like the texture in linen fabric. That is the pencil liner on top.

Thanks!

Comments (36)