SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alexander_crump

Die out of tall fescue every June

Alexander Crump
7 years ago

Help! I am in the Richmond, VA area and have a question about my TTTF lawn.

The lawn is a mix of full sun, partial shade, and heavy shade. Most of the lawn is a blend of various types of tall fescue, with some fine fescue varieties in the drier, shady areas.

I have a professional lawn service that follows the "SOD" program - fertilizer applications in Sept., Oct., and December, plus a spring application. Also weed control applications around June 1 and again sometime in the fall. I also periodically supplement this myself 2-3 times throughout the year with Milorganite.

We do not have an irrigation system. The lawn is about 23,000 SF is a handful to keep watered manually during the summer months.

During the spring and fall months, our lawn is hands down the best in the neighborhood. It greens up early and thickens up to a carpet of turf that solicits comments and admiration. HOWEVER, every year around mid May, the lawn starts to yellow, and by June 1, about half of the new growth has died off. The lawn now has lots of brown stems mixed in with lawn, which gets progressively thinner and less dark/lush. Looking at the lawn, there is now a lot of dead stems that were green two weeks ago. We have had a ton of rain this spring, so it has been well watered, and I could attribute some of this to it having too much water. But I see some lawns and professional properties going strong with thick, dark turf.

There are a couple of small areas in the lawn that are doing great - they are partially shaded and are a very dark, thick green grass, with no die-out evident. Perhaps it's Kentucky Bluegrass there? If I could get this to cover my entire lawn, I would be so happy!

I reseeded a shaded section of my lawn that had previously been used for dumping of leaves and clippings. I used TitanRX which grew incredibly well the spring following seeding, but by May it had also yellowed and thinned out, with about half of the turf lost. But every spring it comes back, and the cycle repeats.

Is this possibly brown patch? Any ideas? Sorry I don't have any photos. In some of the sunny areas, the damage does appear to vary in intensity, with some areas worse than others.

I mow at the highest setting my mower can go and mulch the clippings except during periods of very heavy growth.

I aerate and overseed with a blue tag certified TTTF every September.

We have been in the house for three years, and I am frustrated because I am not seeing an overall improvement in turf quality despite spending a lot of time and money on the lawn.

I live in the Bon Air section of Richmond.

Thanks!

Comments (36)