SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
frontyardfarm

Walk in Cooler / Cool Storage Ideas

frontyardfarm
7 years ago

Hey everyone,

We are planning on building or buying a walk in cooler of some sort this summer. I have been trying to decide what would be the best way to go about it. We have no barn or building to put it in, so whatever we do would most likely need a roof to keep it out of the sun.

One of my ideas is to buy a shipping container, insulate it, and divide into two sections one for refrigeration temps and one for cool temps for things like tomatoes and cucumbers that don't like to be to cold but not to hot. We would use a cool bot to get the temps right. I was thinking we could do a roof on top with a lean-to off the side for a wash and pack area.

Another idea is to buy a used walk in cooler off craigslist and do something similar with a roof overhang. The walk in cooler might work better because I have read that they can handle bringing in vegetables with heat much better than a coolbot. The downside is that I would have to hire someone to come hook it up and if the compressor breaks it will be much more expensive than an air conditioner.

Any feedback or ideas are much appreciated. Any coolbot users, do you find it can keep up with vegetables coming in with heat from the field or do you wash everything to cool it off first?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH