SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dahoog00

2016 Harvest Home

I have neglected my garden for the past couple of weeks; so when I went out today to finally prune out the scapes I found all of my Turbans went over. So I dug them and a couple of other varieties and a few of my tulips. This has to be some sort of record at least for me for how early to dig garlics in central Minnesota. They are Turbans for the most part and they did not send out scapes this year. They just went down while still green, more or less like one would expect onions to do. None of the bulbs are really very big with a few maybe beating 1.5" by a hair. The boards they are laying on are 2x6s to give a bit of scale.

These tulips should have been dug a couple of weeks ago, but there are still plenty more to be dug.

Left to right: grocery store softnecks that all sent up scapes this year; 2 only of what were grocer store hardnecks that didn't send up scapes; the tulips; last the first of three types of Turbans I planted last fall.

Another view of the first of the Turbans above.

The second of the three types of Turbans. This one had marginally bigger bulbs than the other two.

The third of the three types of Turbans. Most of these bulbs and those of the other two types will hardly make an inch and a half, but they are nice and colorful.

I expected these to go another couple of weeks at least. But they looked ready, were all bulbed up and the cloves in the bulbs are well defined. So I dug em. Now they go to the racks.

Tomorrow I will pull weeds, until I am ready to drop. That is what I get for getting sick at just the wrong time! I want that done before weekend. The weathermen are forecasting 90's for Friday. I want to be out of the garden by then; so Wednesday and Thursday are going to be pretty full.

Comments (140)

Sponsored