SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeff_goodman8575971

Need help! Will these plants work on/near pool pipes?

TXLab
7 years ago

We are in North Texas, zone 7. We have a pool in the backyard and steps that lead up to the house. We used to have nothing but nature behind us, but some neighbors built their house back in the woods. The house is great and cannot be seen by us, however, we're run into some privacy issues. He's building a workshop behind our fence (not directly behind, at an angle but still visible from our house). So I'm wanting to get some natural privacy screen. Our fence currently is just 4 feet. When we built it, we wanted to retain as much of the nature look behind house, thats why it's so small. I don't want to build a tall fence and feel "closed in", so my thoughts were to plant some small trees or large shrubs along the back.

A landscaping professional/friend has suggested some eagleston or savannah hollies along the back.

I've gotten permission from my rear neighbor to plant them on his side of the fence if I don't have room on mine. I'd like to avoid this if I can because of all the issues that might arise in the future when planting on someone else's property. I had initially thought that was the only option since we have relatively little room inbetween our pool and the fence, and that is heavily populated with pipe underground. However, in my research I've seen several landscape designs where hollies are very close to the pool. So I thought I'd see if anyone here has any ideas or problems with trying to fit them on our side of the pool. I don't have any recent pictures, but here are some:

Here is one while it was under construction, so you can see how close it is to the fence.

Here are some examples of what I've seen that I like with hollies next to the pool to provide year round privacy.

Windsor Parkway · More Info

Stratford Residence · More Info

Comment (1)