SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
midorit

branches pointing up on weeping tree- trim now? or fall?

midorit
7 years ago

Hello

I have a young weeping river birch tree. It's been here about 2 months and doing well.

So well that it has some new growth pointing upwards.

I have heard not to trim trees until winter when leaves are gone. But for this young tree, should I take off these little branches that are pointing up now? (it's summer, hot out currently). Or should I wait until winter? My only worry is they might be huge by then and it would be a more traumatic cut for the tree. They are growing longer by the day! :D

See the cluster of a bunch going straight up? Can I remove

Also, I know that this tree isn't best suited to this corner. THere was a whole other discussion on that :D

Thank you so much!

Comments (27)

• wisconsitom
    7 years ago

Heh, I'm baaaack...To tell the truth, I'd not do much of anything with a weeper. As I said in the post above, some of the ideas we use in pruning regular, non-weeping types doesn't quite apply here. Branches pointing skyward now could well be the very weepers you will want later....as they grow and get heavier. I'd mostly just leave it do its thing, taking care only to make those few cuts that will help it fit its spot.

• midorit
    Original Author
    7 years ago

that's what I was wondering too. Will these branches that are sticking up get weighted and fall over weeping later?

But if I wanted to, your saying, they could be trimmed at any time.

I've heard with weeping varieties, sometimes if you trim more can grow in it's place. Any guidelines to avoid this?

• Related Discussions

Weeping Willow with black branches?

Q

Comments (12)
    This is exactly right. I also have a new 12' Golden Weeping Willow (planted in April) and throughout the year a branch here or there will turn black and die. It isn't a mildew problem. Throughout the summer I have pruned back the black ones just to make it look not so ugly. This has caused no problems at all. Right now that the weather is cooler and there is more moisture it hasn't been blackening up at all. On a side note, I call this tree my rain gauge. If it starts to dry out, I know all my new trees need water. It is very clear about when it needs water and perks back up immediately when watered. If you have the room (which is the key), and don't plant it near your house, it is a great tree. Mine is about 300 feet or more from the house out in an acre of grove planted trees.
    ...See More

Broken Branch - Trim other branches?

Q

Comments (10)
    I agree about taking the bottom branches to match, BUT as I understand, the tree has recently been transplanted, so I believe I would leave the branches for a year or so to let the newly planted tree become completely established in it new home. It has already suffered the shock of transplant and the loss of some of its branches, no need to further stress it by removing more branches.
    ...See More

Trim off lower branches on Pine Trees? Pros and Cons?

Q

Comments (39)
    I just feel like it drags on the ground and needs some space under. ??? ==>> actually ... given a big enough garden.. many conifer collectors specifically collect trees the 'skirt' ... that is.. grow to the ground and spread out ... but then.. i have 5 acres ... and space for such ... besides... once you lift the canopy.. you have to weed and mulch in the bare ground you created .. all that said ... its your plants.. do whatever you want with them .. make yourself happy ... and who cares what the rest of us say .. or think ... ken btw:.. a horticulturist walks into a bar and sees a biologist .. and says to himself.. who cares ..lol ... and his friend says.. but hes a professor ... and the horticulturist says... so what ... well this is an epic fail...lol: https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffnt&q=conifer+skirts&iax=images&ia=images somewhat better: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=pendulous+conifer+that+grow+to+the+ground+and+create+skirts&t=ffnt&iar=images&iax=images&ia=images do whatever you want to your trees ... ken
    ...See More

Do I need to clean up the dead branches inside of a juniper tree?

Q

Comments (2)
    hey hard to tell w/o a pic ... but if the green is attached to the brown inside.. one might suggest you dont go trimming it all out ... most trees and conifers are barren on the interior .. and that is normal.. so you can see our conundrum on how to advise w/o pic .. that said.. if these are your standard monsters .. which were once cute little plants.. planted a foot or two from the house.. then most likely.. its time for them to go ... ants dont nest in trees .. so i am confused by that... but my bottom line usually comes down to the fact that this is .. presumably .. the front of your new house.. and you should not do long term renovations out front.. and you should get rid of the prior owners mistakes.. and start afresh ... a pic MIGHT change my mind.. ken
    ...See More
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    7 years ago

i will be the third to tell you to let them grow and get to weeping length ...

if you cut them.. the new growth will grow just the same .. up ..

you can ask again .. and probably get a 4th same answer ...

ken

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    7 years ago

I agree that those are branches that you should let alone.

• midorit
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks so much guys! I won't cut them

My only question is: If pruning makes the tree grow twice as much in the cut spot, how do you ever control branches you don't want? In other words how should I cut in the future (say a year or so down the line) if for example the tree is too wide In a certain direction. How can I remove branches without it growing more in it's place. I know it can be done, but now I"m confused how. :D

Thanks again everyone! SO helpful!
  • midorit
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Also, there are a couple branches (I think three) that are growing *towards* the brick wall. I'd like to limit the back growth towards this wall and encourage the shape to fall more forward towards the patio. In that case I don't want those few branches to grow out, can I snip now?

Thanks!

• gyr_falcon
    7 years ago

Dang, I lost what I had written earlier when I took a break to vote.

Those upward growing branches will tend to weep as they lengthen. I did have one oddball vertical that did not, but I just eventually pruned it because it looked silly. The thing is, you want to restrict the growth of your tree [from other thread] in several directions. Those upward growths will tend to grow out and overlap the current weeping branches--making the tree broader. You want your tree to put its energy into growing in the direction you have more room.

I hate having to repeat stuff from the other thread; part of me wishes you had tacked these two onto the previous threads. As noted before, normally you would want to prune from under the canopy, and let the new upper growth take over. However, in your particular case, you will want to remove the upward growth that is headed towards the size-restricting walls only, while leaving the already weeping branches that are closer to the trunk, and the upward growth that is growing in the directions where you have more room. They should not be too large by fall, and doing it later would not encourage the secondary growth as much. If the pruning isn't overdone, and it does not appear it would need to be from your photo, the plant's energy will go into the primary and laterals that are lower on the primary (weeping) branch.

This would not be my normal advice, but you are trying to fit an 15' tree into a 8' space. It will look better in the long run to train it to be lopsided now, to encourage it to fit while keeping the weeping form, than to have to butcher it later and have no branches on several sides.

• midorit
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you for your reply.

So If I trim here and there on the backside, and it gets more front heavy is that ok? Will the tree be unhappy to grow more on the front side and side front areas but not backside that touches the walls? Is that ok?

Also, taking off a few branches going to backside, will it make tree get denser? You mentioned only doing underneath as usually they have a way to grow to their natural width and 'weep'.

Thanks!

• gyr_falcon
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I'm uncertain what you mean by 'So If I trim here and there on the backside'. Haphazard pruning is not a good idea. The tree would be "happier", if there is such a thing, having sufficient space. But that isn't an option for your tree, so really you are making the best of the situation.

What I am picturing is your tree being roughly equal in foliage density all around, but with the size restricted sides having the weeping branches fall closer to the trunk than on the front, roomier sides. In other words, it would look natural, but with the trunk not being in the center of the canopy. Viewed from the front, it might just look like a perspective illusion that the trunk is not centered, and many people may not even mentally register the unevenness.

If the tree is allowed to grow as wide as it would like, on the size restricted sides, drastic pruning may be necessary as the branches begin hitting the wall in the future. You may end up with weeping branches to the ground in front, and branches that reach less than half way down in the back. That asymmetry would be more glaring to the eye, and the desired form of a weeping tree would be diminished.

Floral mentioned pruning underneath in this thread, and I did in the other thread in reference to my tree. That is my pruning method, because I am not restricting its width, and I want to encourage a nice weeping form on my tree that is open under the canopy. I'm not encouraging a very dense mass of foliage and branches because the openness shows the form better, allows for flowers to grow underneath the tree, and I can watch our hummingbirds that like to perch there.

On my tree, I selectively stagger-prune some of the branches about 2-2.5' up after they reach the ground, (sorry, that would take another page of typing to explain, and I lack the time right now) to prevent the appearance of a straight "haircut". It does serve to thicken the foliage amount on the lower sections of the tree by encouraging side branching, but not to a very noticeable degree. Is that where you want your tree to be thicker in foliage, or somewhere else? As the tree matures, it will naturally increase the number of branches and be "denser". Under-pruning can be used to maintain a slightly "airier" look as the tree matures and produces more branches.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    7 years ago

When you first posted about this tree the majority advice was that this tree was not suited for this position because it could not achieve its natural shape in that space. Already you are beginning to see the reasons for that opinion. Weeping trees are easily messed up by injudicious pruning.

• midorit
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Hello

When I said prune here and there I did not mean haphazard but more prune "when needed" but not aggressively.

To answer the other comment when I first posted it became apparent it wasn't an ideal location for it. The nursery gave me the wrong information even after they saw the location they said it was fine- they lied. But, I can't dig it up. I can't return it. And we can't move it because our patio is the size of a postage stamp. So we are stuck with it there and I plan to make the most of it. And that's what I plan to do.

I don't mind if the back side is a hot mess. It can be ugly...no one will see it. I want to know if I just trim it on backside and let it free flow on the front side it it will be imbalanced and that could strain the tree with the weight differential.

Also I am trying to understand how to trim so that I don't encourage super bushy growth.

With most weeping trees it seems you take out branches underneath and then let the top branches cascade. With our tree and it's location it can cascade up to 10 feet across in the front and side front areas. Only the backside cannot.

I'm looking for genuine advice. We already have a whole thread about how dumb of a decision it was to plant there. I get it. But it can't go anywhere. So now I need to make it work and I am no tree expert but I have to learn fast.

Thanks so much for your help everyone so fat. Most appreciated.
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

Restricting the majority of your pruning to when the tree is dormant will reduce the amount of new (and perhaps undesired) growth it will generate. It is also far easier to see what's what and where best to prune when the tree is out of leaf (dormant).

Pruning during the growing season only encourages new growth, as others have mentioned.

• midorit
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I've heard dormant season for this guy is end of summer? Is that right?
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

Dormant is when it no longer has any leaves. That's typically mid to late fall for most tree species.

• wisconsitom
    7 years ago

As far as all that goes, in some ways, it is precisely dormant-season pruning which most results in an uptick in new growth. Trees, as energy gathering and storing systems, are poised in the spring to put on a push of growth. There are however, numerous other reasons to do most of your pruning in that late winter/early spring dormant period. But in this case, so little (if anything) need be done that it doesn't really matter. Even in cases where it does matter, the truth is, there's only a slight difference (to the plant) between getting pruned at the exact perfect time and any other time. Take our own forestry department in this city. With 35 or 40,000 trees to manage, we do not wait until the precise moment and then somehow, impossibly try to prune all the trees! Far from it, we do it year-round, avoiding only the two worst times of year to prune-spring, when buds are expanding (to the point of full leaf expansion) and that part of fall when the trees are getting ready to shed their leaves. If one can simply avoid those two times-this for deciduous, broadleaved trees, you'll be straight.

But the more important message here is that you-midorit-don't really need to do much of anything.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    7 years ago

For the time being the best advice would be not to do anything to it at all. As far as I recollect it has only been in the ground a short while. I would give it a lot more time i.e. at least a couple of years before pruning anything at all. It is still settling in and getting into its stride. Wait and see how it reacts to the proximity to the wall rather than trying to second guess it. It will probably adapt itself without any intervention.

• gyr_falcon
    7 years ago

It is clear you do not yet understand pruning techniques, so unintentional haphazard pruning is a real possibility. 'I don't mind if the back side is a hot mess. It can be ugly...no one will see it...' doesn't instill confidence. Yes, it will show! I can see the branches and foliage of the back of my tree when viewing it from the opposite side. When the leaves are gone, and the bare branches show the form of the tree, I can see the entire tree.

Have you considered putting the tree up for sale through Craig's List, or a gardening club, locally? It is a desirable tree and it hasn't been in the ground that long, so it should not be as difficult to move as an established tree. You might be able to recoup a enough of your investment to be able to purchase another tree that would be perfect for the location. Trees are an investment in some ways; nice ones, in appropriate settings, can add $$ to the value of a house when sold. Mature trees that are not in appropriate places, or are an eyesore, detract from the value because buyers consider the cost and effort it will require to have them removed, plus the cost to replace it with something appropriate and of sufficient size.

You are receiving genuine advice from a lot of members. We don't always agree on everything, because we all have different horticulture experience and training. I have used my experience with my weeping birch to try to offer my best advice. I haven't seen any posts where members were not trying to help you.

• midorit
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you so much everyone for all of your advice! I think for now I will just do nothing. Even those few branches added to the backside really will not fill it out immensely. If it starts getting more in that direction I will intervene. I will try and take out some branches underneath on the backside as it grows and then some from the top to thin out the canopy and try to do it as tasteful as I can! :D. I plan to buy a book on tree pruning as well. I feel like if people can bonsai trees into shape, I should be able to save this from being a total disaster! Haha

Lastly, I can't remember if this was answered (if so I'm sorry!) but I was told by a couple friends that trees that grow against a house or wall will self limit themselves a bit. Does anyone in their experience know this to be true? In other words, they will grow up to the wall, but their growth will be a bit stifled by the existence of the wall. I heard this and wanted to see who had experience of this.

Thank you so much again and sorry this didn't get tacked on the other question! Originally it was just a pruning question but I could quickly see where it fit into the whole scheme of things :D. Thank you though. I'm taking all opinions on board and they are all valued here!!
  • gyr_falcon
    7 years ago

Good luck with your tree. To save on purchasing a bonsai book ;), that restriction of top growth size is typically achieved by root pruning and restriction, and is not something that can be easily achieved for an in-ground tree.

• Mike McGarvey
    7 years ago

You asked if the tree was only pruned on one side would it lean because of the unequal weight.

After the the tree is taller you can let the branches grow on that side to restore the umbrella and proper balance. Just hope your neighbors allow it.

Mike

• wisconsitom
    7 years ago

Midorit, if I sound cross, my apologies. That is not my intent, but at this point, I really and truly believe you need to just take a few deep breaths, move on to something else, and literally forget about this tree for a while. You will learn more by direct observation in the coming couple of years than b y any number of additional posts and questions about this one plant.

Mind you-I'm not at all saying to discontinue participating on this forum-I couldn't make that happen even if I wanted to, and I don't.l I'm just saying, let the tree be, again for a year or two, see what's happening, and move on. The tree is-as has been adequately stated-a bit close to the house, there are ways to deal with this, but there is simply nothing that needs to be....or even should be...done now.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

".... and then some from the top to thin out the canopy ..." Please, no. Maybe we haven't explained ourselves clearly enough. Cutting from above the canopy is a bad idea unless you are an experienced pruner. Look at how those new branches go up a little and then arch over and downwards. If you cut stems from above the canopy you can end up with stubs sticking up in the air and multiple new growths therefrom. I too have a weeping birch in my tiny garden. It is getting on for 30 years old so please believe that I do know what I am talking about. Just leave your tree alone and watch how it develops. Look at it in all seasons. As has been stated above, in the winter you will be able to see it all and if there are ugly stubs and clutter from poor pruning they will show horribly.

• tonyatabler
    6 years ago

I cut the middle upward branch, did I ruin my weeping cherry tree?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    6 years ago

Impossible to say. I would suggest you start your own thread and provide more information including a picture. Where are you situated, how old is the tree and how big is it? But as a general rule of thumb, weeping cherries are best left entirely alone. If the shape doesn't suit then it's probably not the right tree for the situation.

• Logan L Johnson
    6 years ago

"Heh, I'm baaaack...To tell the truth, I'd not do much of anything with a weeper. As I said in the post above, some of the ideas we use in pruning regular, non-weeping types doesn't quite apply here. Branches pointing skyward now could well be the very weepers you will want later....as they grow and get heavier. I'd mostly just leave it do its thing, taking care only to make those few cuts that will help it fit its spot."

Welcome back, Tom!

I wouldn't touch the tree. These upright branches will eventually cascade down to form weeping branches. Leave them be.

"I cut the middle upward branch, did I ruin my weeping cherry tree?"

Why don't you create your own thread instead of hijacking this one?

• brothergarm
    6 years ago

I was also excited when I thought +om was back, but then I checked the date. :(

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012