SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
primdawg

Adding a dormer(s)?

Annette Holbrook(z7a)
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We are meeting with our second option build team this week. This team includes an architect whom we have met and liked his previous projects. I am aware that he will answer the dormer questions but would live to educate myself a bit as well. I have my what not to build book as a guide lol.

This is the front of the house currently, we will add 12 feet of roof to the right side of the house in order to cover the back deck. The roof lines will follow the current roof.

The new dormer can be the entire width, or close to it, of the current roof now showing. The left 2/3 of the house the dormer will be an addition to the loft area in order to create a space for a master bathroom and closet. Also, the chimney will be gone as we are taking out the fireplace and putting a fireplace on the porch.

Does it matter if the dormer is symmetrical? Meaning if 12 feet of original roof show on right but maybe 3feet show on left? I like these 2 types of dormers as a starting point.

Here is a very rough plan of the upstairs with a dormer added for the bath,

smaller dormer

Larger dormer

this is the loft currently, the wall where the beds are now is where the dormer will go

Comments (9)