SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tia_ns

"Free-standing tub with kids?"

tia_ns
7 years ago

I'm embarking on a master bath remodel where we will remove the garden tub under a window and replace it with another tub. The tub is necessary as it's the only one in the house and our kids love to take baths. We are considering a free-standing tub for aesthetics but what is the practicality of this kind of tub with kids? It won't really get used otherwise.

Comments (14)

• PRO
    Skydell Contracting Inc.
    7 years ago

Freestanding tubs are more about esthetics than they are practicality. Water can go everywhere since there are no walls. They have be be cleaned, under and behind which can be a problem depending on how much extra space you have around the tub. Depending on the make and mode of both the tub and the faucet they can get expensive and installation is sometime a little tricky. Don't rule it out but make sure you examine all the ups and downs before you move forward.

• Aubrey Lou
    7 years ago
    I like freestanding tubs!!! I don't care about the cleaning....
  • _sophiewheeler
    7 years ago

You really should waterproof the entire floor and then some if you are going to have kids fighting naval battles that splash over. They DO splash out much easier in a freestanding tub rather than a built in. Grout and tile are not waterproof.

• tatts
    7 years ago

You'll be a slave to cleaning up that area.

• Bev
    7 years ago

I would keep a standard tub for the kids!

• PRO
    Anastasia O'Connor and Associates
    7 years ago

I just gutted my master bath. I ruled out the freestanding tub because I realized how difficult it would be to clean on the far side (for this same reason, I dislike furniture-style vanities for the bath -- I have a hard enough time cleaning up after kids on the surface; why have to clean underneath?!). I have a two-person built-in tub.

• Aubrey Lou
    7 years ago
    Can you please post a picture of your space...?
  • Aubrey Lou
    7 years ago
    Freestanding tubs are usually prettier
  • tia_ns
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Here's a picture of the corner tub that we are replacing.
  • Aubrey Lou
    7 years ago
    thanks! I think a smaller freestanding tub would look nice, bit it's up to you!
  • suzyq53
    7 years ago

Looks like they'd have more fun in the big corner tub. If they are old enough to bath themselves I'd go for the freestanding. I love niecie's! But not sure I'd want to lean over a high one to bath the kids.

• Hannah
    2 years ago

@tia_ns -- I am having the same dilemma (replacing a corner garden tub and not sure if I should do freestanding or drop in) and I'm wondering what you decided?

• tropikaldawl
    last year

I too have the same dilemma. My kids didn’t use the small tubs by their room, they used our garden tub and I loved the seat to be able to be with them. I also love baths and loved how wide it was. But our corner tub is against a window on one side and against a wall with nothing jetting out so we have no need for a corner tub really. Also my kids long decided they prefer showers so I’m the only one who will use the tub, and frankly I can’t get into it easily at all because the wall is so thick and the sit and swing doesn’t work as the fixtures are in the way, plus I’m not that tall. So everyone says a freestanding is hard to get into but I think it’s easier (surprised that I am the only one?). I am thinking to get something egg shaped / wider so that it would be comfortable to relax in and easy to get in/out of. But I am also unsure, as I have people telling me to just get a new drop in. The current garden tub takes up a lot of space on our bathroom and makes the use of the floor space seem rather awkward, as the shower and toilet areas are smaller.