SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vjon1

Nigrescens not good...Help!!!

Vonda K n NC
7 years ago

Divided 1 lge potted plant into 2 clumps. Didn't return in April but finally sprouted in May. Not doing well and after a month still barely and inch.

In NC so its warm April til Oct.

Did divide once all green was gone in March. A nub died... too much water I think. Is pot too large?? Soil is potting mix with a Lil outside Sand in big pot why they may die!! What do I do??

They were almost 3ft tall last May.

Please help! !

Comments (18)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    7 years ago

need a pic ..

very confusing story

ken

• Vonda K n NC
    Original Author
    7 years ago

the plant was 3 feet tall last summer but I can't attach the photo because its in my gallery plants look like this now and one is already died it's because I divided them I'm trying to save them

• Vonda K n NC
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Plant lady at local Nursery said try to remove some of the water that's why they're sitting above the soil

• Vonda K n NC
    Original Author
    7 years ago

other photos are everybody did well and came back just nigrecens didn't survive the divide it seems. So see not killing plants randomly. I love and nurture them trust me.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    7 years ago

What is all that plastic? What size pot compared to what size root ball did you plant? Bareroot the plant and see what you have left. (Take it out of the pot and wash away the soil by dunking in a pail of water or with a hose. ) Take a photo. I don't see anything "sitting above the soil". Are your pots raised up off the surface they are sitting on? Hostas need to have super drainage in pots.

-Babka

• Vonda K n NC
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Since the soil was still very moist I placed each of the lumps of was left of the hosta in a bag and inside it on top of the soil to dry. They are inside and the planters are very big with drainage at bottom.

• Vonda K n NC
    Original Author
    7 years ago

this is the pot this is what it looked like may 2015

• Vonda K n NC
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Both of the tiny little sprouts that are left in pots the same size as the one above are they too big for the little plants now is that why they didn't come back. Local Nursery lady said separate the plant from the soil that's why they're in the plastic

• Vonda K n NC
    Original Author
    7 years ago

vjon1's ideas · More Info

here's what's left

• Babka NorCal 9b
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

The roots in your photos are rotten. Dead. Good roots will be white and firm. Pots are way too big. No way that soil could dry between waterings. Hose off the dirt, dip what is left in 10% bleach to kill soil born bad things) and re-plant (if there are any roots left) in small pots that the roots almost fill. You will have several years to wait for those tiny guys to catch up to Mama. OR, chalk this one up to experience and go get yourself a couple nice new ones. ;-)

I've been growing hostas for almost 20 years now, and have learned that sometimes, no matter how much love and care you give them, sometimes they die. Fungus, bugs, pilot error, bad tc's, or simply because "stuff" happens.

-Babka

• Vonda K n NC
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Noooo please dont say that, but I hear you.

I kinda figured it was going to be something bad like what youve mentioned. I read what you said prior to this and did some of what you suggested. I didnt however rinse with the 10#% solution, but I did replant and took about half of the soil out and trashed and saved for whenever. Thing is they are not from Mama as you call it, they were Her. in 2015 it was so full and big and awesome i wanted two pots of it and see this i guess is what I get for being greedy....

But I was able to break down what i had left and found 6 nubs or knobs that weret dead i hope yet, so maybe they will come back in about another month of not being so wet. I guess i have learned to make double pots when i can actually see the plants in green leaf form, then i will know how to divide them. That much Ive dont lots with new hosta coming home but never tried dividing over the winter, now i see why.

I dont have 20 years yet, only hmm since 2011 but this is the first year I dont badly so i guess its not sooooo bad. I had to relocated farther south and when 2016 warned up earlier i guess they got confused, and then i got worried, because it too 2 months for the guys to return where as last year it only to 1 month. I keep them all inside during the winter used to be in a garage though.

Thank you!!!

• Vonda K n NC
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Lol in NC we don't get 6 weeks outside cold straight for that long....but gotcha. They need cold.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    7 years ago

Vonda- They need chill hours, (like fruit trees) and do fine in NC where it stays cool enough to keep them dormant. If they are in a shaded area, they won't heat up during the day. You get plenty of that in NC, where some beautiful hostas are grown at Plant Delights Nursery.

I'm in a much warmer zone, (never freezes, rare frost) where my soil doesn't get cold enough, but occasionally during winter we get below 40 degrees. My hostas (in pots) wake up in late February or early March. But we can grow stone fruit trees (cherries, apricots) that need chill hours, as well as oranges and lemons.

Whatever...do NOT keep them inside. Get yourself some new ones!!!

-Babka

Vonda K n NC thanked Babka NorCal 9b
  • Vonda K n NC
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hii

I've only been here 2 yes but the rain is a mess some times.Temps are better than VA but I guess I'm still learning. I don't have shade until after 5 so I made an umbrella garden using 2 beach umbrellas. Last year was still trial and error but this year only one plant got too much sun once.

As for new I got two blue angels. 1 was a little sad but great leaf spread sovi too it for half price. My son said why and I had to explain. Then he named them .

I will do my best and leave them out this winter but it will be tough. I think they were out until Jan. but I didn't write that down.

Do Hosta need bees?

Oh and all of them are on concrete or rock.

I've ordered from green mountain hosta and from land of giant hosta but not 4 a while. No extra funds but someday. I guess especially if the nigrecens don't survive. Green mountain is the only place I know who sells them and that 9.00 but flat fee ship of 10.

I'm making a concerted effort to watch thewatering after you notes. I forgot why I got two new blu angels. i will let the ones dry out much longer. I have some thst are only insiders.

My new interests are in acquiring :

Nantucket ...garden magic...gentile giant. ..more big daddy...nickelodeon. ..more nigresence and Grey goose.

Some day.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    7 years ago

"Soil is potting mix with a Lil outside Sand..."

Your soil is too moisture retentive. Never use "outside sand". Take your potting soil and mix it 50-50 with perlite and your plants will have a fighting chance.

tj

Vonda K n NC thanked tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
  • Vonda K n NC
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ooh that I didn't know. The dug up sand,was,so dry and light I thought just the opposite. Oh well I guess in another 25 days I'll know if the divide dies for good or not

• Vonda K n NC
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Anyone now how to fix the new problrm? Never had chomping b4

On guacamole and 1 big daddy leaf

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor