SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nnmjdklil

Compost question

nnmjdklil
7 years ago

I thought it best to post this here instead of the compost forum because my question is about a specific local compost... My apologies if this is still better off in the other forum, I will be happy to post it there as well.

So I've been wanting to buy some compost-- I don't have the time or space to make it myself at this particular point in my life-- and have read through other people's posts asking for recommendations on the best bagged stuff. The only thing that seems to be regularly recommended (or at least not shot down by someone) is a "good locally produced compost", and knowing as little as I do about such things, it seemed like I'd need to take a class and conduct interviews to figure out exactly what that meant. The local part seems easy enough though, so I decided to check on good ol' Craigslist. And I found something that sounds excellent but wanted to check in and see if anyone here has bought or used any of it.

It's compost (and vermicompost) made by veterans on a farm in Aberdeen, which is only about 20 min from me. The description on their site says:

"Our compost products are made according to certain production standards. Our compost piles exceed 140F for at least 72 hours straight to kill pathogens and weed seeds. Our regular compost undergoes a 60 day composting process and minimum of 30 days of curing. Our vermicompost undergoes the standard compost process for at least 21 days and then spends atleast 30 days in our worm bins.

Each batch of our regular compost undergoes a seed germination test before it is released for sale. This ensures that we are only selling a high quality product that is ready for use by our customers. We periodically send out our compost for formal laboratory testing. These results are available upon request."

Website is "veterancompost dot com". Anyone heard of it/had experience with it/at least know if it sounds as good to you as it does to me? It's certainly not cheap but nothing I was looking at is really, and I only need a few bags for now. I just don't want to buy "the wrong thing" and end up maybe putting something into my garden that I DON'T want in there.

Also open to other suggestions for a good local source if anyone has them. I appreciate that many people would never buy something like this that they can easily make themselves but that's not feasible for me today and I'd really just appreciate any direction or insight with bagged/bought compost.

Thank you,

Nicole

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals