SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sjc48

June FOTESS Swap - Summer School!

sjc48
7 years ago

Hi Everybody and welcome to the June FOTESS Swap!

Before we do anything else, I want to thank Amy for taking the May swap for us and for doing such a great job! Thank you, Amy!

School is out for everyone except us FOTESSers - we're going back to Summer School and will be concentrating on the basics - the 3 R's - Reading, Writing and 'Rithmatic!

For this swap you will be sending one item from each of those 3:

READING - you will send a gardening magazine for your partner to read or any other garden related reading material that you think your partner would like. Magazines dated 2013 to present, please!

WRITING - you will send your partner something to write on or with, such as, a small notebook, pencils, pens, a to-do list, memo pads, notecards, index cards, recipe cards, etc.

'RITHMATIC - You will be SUBTRACTING 3-4 packs of ANNUAL seeds from your seed stash and ADDING them to your partners seed stash, in the hopes that the seeds will MULTIPLY for your partner but not need DIVISION later on!

A large bubble envelope should do it for this swap.

You have until the end of the month to send your package out.

There will be a small prize for those students whose packages arrive at their partners house on or before the Summer Solstice/First Day of Summer, which, I think is June 20 or 21st - I'll check that out and get back to ya all!

I'll be posting some Essay Questions throughout the month, about the 3 Rs, not a game, just sharing some thoughts!

So, are you ready to spend some time in the classroom this summer? If so, sign up and join in!

Shirley!

Comments (259)

• BenLovesBeets (Zone 7b)
    7 years ago

Shirley, These are great! I love riddles! I finished pre-algebra and algebra in the 7/8th grade respectively, geometry/algebra2 in the 9/10th grade respectively precalculus/ trigonometry in the 11th grade and calculus in the 12th grade which I tried for AP credit but didn't achieve. Calculus really did me in! I took advanced physics and statistics in college as a part of my major and revisited calculus. Also, I took a course called Applied Quantitative Analysis a Chemistry course which was heavily math based. Phew...I hate math...I don't even like thinking about the fact that I took those courses!

1. Clock or watch

2. Temperatures

3. Telephone numbers

4. Costs/store prices

5. Gas prices?

• sjc48
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Breanne, like Emily, you got 1 and 3.

At least we're eliminating some things!

• Related Discussions

New: FOTESS May 2012 Swap - Snip and Share

Q

Comments (126)
    Thanks for sharing the natives list, Heidi. I will be looking through it again and again. Ellie, so glad that package made it to you in time for you to try to root some things. Crazy mail service... I matched people so the package wouldn't have to travel so far and the one that made it to you quickly was from across the country. Makes you wonder, but I am just glad it got there. A few of my cuttings looked dead and got pulled out and tossed, but I am hopeful that many more will make it. Shurbs and things like that take longer to root than the soft stem plants. Our hot weather is upon us now though and the rain had stopped. It was nice when we had it. Now I am dragging my hoses and sprinklers around once again. Our daylilies are just fantastic this year. I really enjoy going out to see which ones are in bloom each day. Jeanne
    ...See More

Hostess for June FOTESS swap!

Q

Comments (7)
    Hi all, back from a wonderful trip to Dallas to visit our son and daughter in law. I have never been to Texas and although a nice enough trip, I don't think I could ever find myself living there. I like my own small town. The kids bought a new house and we were able to see it as they closed the day after we arrived. Big and roomy. I also was honored to have my dil ask me to help her do some baby shower registering. Can't believe our children survived their younger years looking at all the things new parents seem to require. LOL I was pretty overwhelmed and Kelly was too. So much to choose from. A break is a good idea. Shirley, you must be exhausted after all you have done the past few months. Glad the break was suggested. With the weather staying cold for way too long, I am way behind in gardening. I plan to go buy some tomato, cucumbers, and squash plants as it is kind of late to start from seed. Thankfully, my schedule is getting back to normal at work. I am working the first three days of one week, then the last three days of the other resulting in a week off. I like that. :) Hope everyone is having a great weekend so far, Margo
    ...See More

WANTED: Summer Time, Summer Time, Summer Time Swap....

Q

Comments (39)
    You're right Terri it should make it a little easier for me with only 24. Nice manageable number. If anyone hasn't sent me their address and full name please email me as soon as possible. Or if anyone has moved recently please make sure that I have your new address. Thanks, Ann Here is the final list: 1. Lee 2. Maryanne 3. Jessica 4. Shelley 5. Linda 6. Diane 7. Terri 8. Diana 9. Karen Becky (Booberry) Brenda Blueiris Gina Michelle Susie David Andi Nancy Lori LindaP Katie Alison Pam (Dedtired) Ann
    ...See More

Fotess September Swap...Falling for Fall

Q

Comments (387)
    Way back on Sept 30 I posted that prizes for winners would be sent over the next couple weeks. Well it is more than a month later and my shipment of bulbs finally arrived today. My sincere apologies to, Margo, Katie,Annie, Ruth and Shirley ( BG) for the delay. Mail will be sent Thursday and Friday and I will post DC #'s then. Best I can say, besides I'm sorry is what my Grandmother used to say about late BD presents..... "It makes the fun last a bit longer when it doesn't all come at the same time." Bethb
    ...See More
  • beth_b_kodiak
    7 years ago

Algebra, three years, Plane geometry, solid geometry, Trig and one statistics one semester.

skip 1&3

2 odometer on car

4 Highway /route #s

5 aircraft flight numbers

• sjc48
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Beth, you're real close on #4! Nothing else.

7 years ago

oh is 4# speed limits?

• sjc48
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes, the numbers on the speed limit signs!

So, what are we left with? #s 2 and 5!

• gardengirl37232
    7 years ago

I received a lovely two page letter from Margo today with writing on the front and back! Look at the lovely lined stationery and the excellent penmanship.

Thank you, Margo! I really enjoyed reading your letter. Lots of news, like letters used to be. I haven't had such a nice handwritten letter in a long time.

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    7 years ago

2. Bus/Trail/El numbers

5. Voltage-electric wires-keeping an eye on the utility bill and the cause of many a marital discord

• kchd
    7 years ago

2. License plate numbers.

5. Fuse box numbers.

Stay tuned, Fotess members. I'll be posting the July swap next week.

• sjc48
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Well, my post disappeared. No correct guesses on #s 2 and 5.

I wish I would have had some of these ideas when I was wracking my brains for number questions!

• Robin 5b Nehls
    7 years ago

Is number 5 wind speed or gps?

• sjc48
    Original Author
    7 years ago

No. Another good guess tho, Robin!

I'll give some hints in the morning before I leave!

• gardengirl37232
    7 years ago

2. TV/radio channels

5. Expenses/budget/assets and liabilities

7 years ago

Why was 6 mad at 7? Because 7 8 9

• sjc48
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Morning!!

Good one, Heidi!

Emily, you are coming close with #5, but still not what I was thinking of!

Here are some hints:

#2 These aren't French or Spanish numbers.

#5 What do you do on a tightrope?

Hey, I'm outta here, will try to get on GW, if not, see ya next week,

Shirley!

• kchd
    7 years ago

Is #2 Roman numerals?

7 years ago

#5 budget?

7 years ago

Also, Margo! I love your stationary!! Where did you find this? I'd love to get some personalized stationary :)

• gardengirl37232
    7 years ago

5. Balancing a checkbook.

7 years ago

5. Cost of circus tickets

• gardengirl37232
    7 years ago

2. The Dewey decimal system or the barcode they scan when you check books out of the library.

• sandlapper_rose
    7 years ago

Sorry to be delayed, everyone. I'm filling in for Shirley but with a busy day today, I am just now getting online.

Everything has now been guessed!

Katie you were right with Roman Numerals for #2

Emily you were right with the numbers in a checkbook (balancing the checkbook) for #5.

Great guesses.

I'll be sure to stop by tomorrow. It went up to 103 degrees here today. However, our humidity is still not very high so it felt "pleasant" to me. Of course, my husband is in total disagreement. We got about 15 min. of rain late this afternoon so that sure was appreciated; no one had to drag the hoses around to water the plants.

Happy Weekend!

Jeanne

• smitties
    7 years ago

Emily, my daughters father in law owns a print shop and made the stationary for me for Christmas two years ago. He made several pads of it and I was pleased to be able to use it. Don't do much snail mail these days so glad you enjoyed the letter.

• nottougly
    7 years ago

Amybabyboy

your package is in todays mail.

Sorry for the delay in shipping.

Enjoy it,

Faye!

• amybabyboy3
    7 years ago

Thank you Faye, I will let you know when it arrives!

• sandlapper_rose
    7 years ago

If anyone would like to see posts here awaiting Shirley's return, here's my suggestion for the next few days. Let's post our local temperature when we log on (rainfall if you have some) and if your garden is producing fruit, vegetables or flowers right now - post what you picked today. Will love to see the posts and certainly include pictures if you like!

I looked up the local temperature on the computer and it says it's 87 degrees right now. Hard to believe after the 103 the other day, but I'm not going outside to read the thermometer so I will believe them. Thankful for the cooler temperature. My garden has "shut down" quite a bit from the heat and dryness so I haven't picked anything in the past few days. Before the heat I was picking some mini-cucumbers. I saw that I am getting a few blossoms on my tomato plants. I hope they continue to grow. I checked the blueberry bushes yesterday and the heat and dryness did in all the blueberries. I think I saw about 3 berries that may last until they are ripe enough for picking. I'm glad I don't have to feed the family from my garden!

Jeanne

• smitties
    7 years ago

It's 76 out and it's 10 pm. We hit low 90's and then rain storms came through. Of course, all went north and south of us. We have had one rainfall in the month of June. Somehow I've kept the gardens in decent shape. High of 93 tomorrow. Ugh

Lilies are blooming right now. I just wish they lasted longer.

Too early for vegies but there are flowers on my tomatoes and peppers which is all I planted. I did find peanut plants at the farmers market so bought some for the fun of it.

good night all

• Robin 5b Nehls
    7 years ago

It's 10 pm and while I was waiting for my cherry cobbler to finish I checked the temp. It is 77 degrees in Illinois. My garden is growing by leaps and bounds. So far asparagus rhubarb cherries and now black raspberries. This is the second year canes. Not enough for jelly wonderful for on yogurt or ice cream.

Cherry cobbler done

Sweet dreams to everybody

Morning brings a treat.

My attempt at another haiku. Summer school was fun. Even the math.

7 years ago

It's 72 degrees and it's 10 p.m. A cool front came through yesterday and it's wonderful. Supposed to be a bit cooler this week. I received Rose of Sharon seedlings in the mail, but I didn't want to plant them out while it was 95-98..

Our blackberry bush/tree produced many berries. When we moved in 10 years ago it was a stump and each year I cut off the new branches, but it always got bigger. Then two years ago it had blooms and berries! Wow!

We'll have about 16 blueberries if they ripen up so I understand Jeanne. Things are looking good, but it's too early for veggies. My peas are blooming and they'll like the cool week, too.

Oh, and my first bee balm bloom showed up! They attract pollinators like crazy. Lilies, rudbeckia, coneflowers, milkweed all in bloom.

Heidi

• beth_b_kodiak
    7 years ago

We had a pleasant and much needed thunder storm last night. Both the moisture and the cooling effect are very welcome. Temp is 71 at 05:45 and 90 is expected this afternoon.

This is the roadside bed I started before we moved into this home. It is going to need some serious thinning this fall. Many plants are from GW trades/donations and most of the lilies are from Smokeys.... ID's are all lost or faded......

I selected a lot of different yellows and this is one of my favorites. I believe it is Prairie moon.

Heidi the bee balm is blooming along the roadsides here but none in my gardens yet.

• amybabyboy3
    7 years ago

Faye, Thank you for the great treats for summer school. I will be reading the small gardens magazine tonight (looks great!) I love the cute journal book to keep track of seeds and your handmade cards are beautiful! Thank you also for Spanish bluebell bulbs, Silver maple and wonderful selection of seeds! Also will enjoy the cute stickers with my kids! Thank you so much! Amy

• EricaBraun
    7 years ago

It's 90 degrees right now, at 5:14pm. My lemon tree is heavy with fruit. I picked a bunch yesterday for the neighbor, and picked a bunch more today to include in a trade with a friend. Cowpeas are a couple inches tall. This is my first time trying to grow them, so I'm excited to see if those do well.

• gardengirl37232
    7 years ago

It is 75 degrees right now at 8:37 PM. Got home late today so it was too dark to take any good pictures. It was pretty humid when I got out of the car. My glasses fogged up. We had rain last night and this afternoon, which is great for the plants. I have canna blooming at the moment. The bee balm that Margo sent me last month is now blooming. My squash are blooming too. My blackberries are ripening although the birds get most of them.

• Melinda Hagen
    7 years ago

Wow, I finally have a little bit of time to post! I am truly sorry I have been MIA! The last month has been horrid, emotionally, mentally, physical! I have been gone most of the time and many places not able to get on computer. I have had Amber's stuff for couple weeks, but haven't been able to remember to take to po on way out of town, or it's weekend if here. I am so sorry, esp. to new member of FOTESS. It will be going out tomorrow. I love all the pics everyone has posted. Hoping and praying all are well with themselves and family. Hopefully I won't get stoned for being so late, but not end of month yet! Amber I'll post tracking # tomorrow when I mail.

• Robin 5b Nehls
    7 years ago

It's 66 degrees at 9:50. What a treat and my plants are loving it.

7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hello all, sorry I have been MIA. I had a pretty hectic last several days. I have been acting as a liason for my younger sister and the rest of our friends/family etc. As many of you might have heard there was severe flooding in southern West Virginia. Although I am unaffected in the northern part of the state, my younger sister (who normally lives with me) has been living in Greenbrier County for a month doing a summer culinary internship at the Greenbrier Resort. She lives in the epicenter of the madness and is without power,water, gas, etc. She came home for a few days once the roads became passable enough for her to leave (most of what's left of them is being reserved for national guard and emergency vehicle traffic only) to gather supplies, take a much-needed shower, and wash her clothes. She is fine and by the grace of God has a second story apartment that was unaffected save loss of utilities, due to her water main/gas main breaking (shown below). Many of her friends have lost everything, some are still even missing family members. Please pray for the communities of West Virginia's Southern counties. The picture below is up the street from my sister's house. Many local businesses are completely gone. If you happened to see the footage of the burning house floating down the river on CNN it was her neighbors' up the block :(

Needless to say our state has received A LOT of rain. only a few inches in my region but 15+ in hers in the last couple weeks. It is 80 degrees here in Morgantown at 1:00PM

• kchd
    7 years ago

Breanne, that's terrible! Reminds me of the terrible time the gulf coast had after Katrina. It had us all in a state of shock.

• smitties
    7 years ago

My thoughts and prayers go out to those in West Virginia who are victims of the horrible flooding.

I came home to find the air conditioning off and all the windows open. Woo hoo. Temp is 71 and the humidity is way done. I'm heading out to water because we have been do dry. Two rainfalls the month of June.

7 years ago

Robin, I love your flowers. When I look at flowerbeds like yours I love the ones that are stately and well formed, but somehow all of mine look like a piñata exploded overhead! I think of it as American Cottage Garden since Americans do everything overboard. ha

Breanne, Im glad your sister could come and refresh at your place. The power of nature is amazing. We had snow last winter that brought everything to a standstill, but it was the most beautiful swirls of snow. I will pray for them.

I was trying to be sneaky today and buy clearance plants in the next town and everybody not only knew me, they told me I didn't need any more flowers! I tried to explain it was a small addiction (and get out of my way) wink. LOL Heidi

• EricaBraun
    7 years ago

Melinda -- Sorry to hear about your horrid month. Hope things are starting to look up for you.

Breanne -- Holy cow! So lucky your sister was ok. It's great that you were near enough that she was able to escape to your place.

Robin -- Lovely pictures, as always.

• Robin 5b Nehls
    7 years ago

This has been a wonderful experience and I want to thank Shirley for all the amazing homework. Do we know if there is a swap for July? So interesting to see gardens around the country. Have a safe and happy 4th of July.

• kchd
    7 years ago

Hi everyone, I just posted the FOTESS swap for July.

Shirley, thank you for hosting another great swap!!

• sandlapper_rose
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Sorry I haven't posted more times but I have stopped by to see if there were any problems coming up.

It's 73 degrees here at 11:30 p.m. We had a short thunderstorm earlier today. Prior to that, the humidity was terrible. I've been busy getting the house cleaned up for holiday company. Cleaning house is definitely NOT my favorite!

I've seen on the news about the flooding in West Virginia (and earlier the coverage of Texas). Will keep all of those affected in my prayers. South Carolina is still dealing with damage from the floods last year in October.

Katie, I'm heading over to the other thread to check out July!

Jeanne

• Amber Edgar
    7 years ago

Melinda I got your package yesterday, thank you very much for all my lovely gifts I especially love the pens and journal, I love to write and I have a weird pen thing....I collect them...lol. weird I know!!! I sent your package out Wednesday I believe I will get your tracking number to you tonight when I get off work. Like I told Erica it may be late I have to close but I'll get it to you. I hope you like your gifts. Oh for the reading part I couldn't find magazines just about flowers but I sent you a better Homes and Gardens mag and a Martha Stewart living mag. Both of them I marked garden/ flower article in them. Just look for the folded down pages. Both of them have some great recipes in them too. Hope you enjoy.

Amber

• Melinda Hagen
    7 years ago

Amber, I will love whatever you send. I am glad you liked your package. Hard finding seeds to go with dahlias. Just some of my favs! Thanks for letting me know and sorry so late in sending! Melinda

• sjc48
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Everyone, I'm finally home! And can I just say that coming thro Toledo on Interstate 75 was the same miserable experience it has always been. Never changes. These people need to work on their detour skills.

Had a great visit with the granddaughters. My daughter and her husband just bought their first house, so there was a lot of packing, sorting, running back and forth going on! It's a nice little house in a great neighborhood, same school district and Tabitha is so excited - she gets to ride the school bus! Where they live now is only a block away from her school, so she had to walk.

And I got to meet my grandcat, Aurora. Very pretty cat, American Tabby mix, quite nice and it only took her a couple of days to get used to me.

Okay, let's take care of some swap stuff!

First of all, a huge Thank You to Jeanne for covering for me. And at the last minute too. This visit was supposed to happen next weekend. Jeanne, I owe ya one! Thank you!

Robin, Beth and Heidi, thanks for sharing the pics, your flower beds are just beautiful!

Great Haiku, Robin!

Congrats to Katie and Emily for guessing #s 2 and 5!

Erica, how great it would be to walk out to my back yard and pick lemons!

Margo, we got rain 3 nites in Kettering. The girls drew a picture of me with their chalk, on the sidewalk, and were really bummed that the rain washed it away!

Breanne, so glad your sister had you to retreat to! Saying prayers for the flood victims.

Melinda, hope all is going better for you. Please post when you receive.

Here's an update on the Swap:

Erica REC'D

Katie REC'D

Emily REC'D

Margo REC'D

Breanne REC'D

Heidi REC'D

Robin REC'D

Beth REC'D

Amber REC'D

Amber sends to Melinda

Amy REC'D

Shirley REC'D

Faye REC'D

Okay, I'm going to finish unpacking and get some dinner. Got to check out Katie's swap too!

Later,

Shirley!

• sandlapper_rose
    7 years ago

Welcome back, Shirley. No problem about keeping watch on things while you were away. It sounds like you were busy, but in a good kind of way. Love the new cat's name!

Robin, your flower beds are gorgeous! I know you must spend lots of time making them look beautiful like they are.

As for our local weather, it was the most humid I have ever felt for early morning. Arg! I went out to water the plants and brought my saddle up to the house so I could clean it. 8 a.m. and I was so hot! I found 3 cucumbers to pick (all very small) and had one with breakfast.

I've always liked hydrangeas and not had much luck with them. Finally a few years ago, I dug all of my hydrangeas out of the ground and put them in pots. The pots aren't very large, but each one is blooming this summer. Can you tell my soil (ground soil) is very poor? It's basically sand and then they were competing with the tree roots for water. I guess we hit 99 or 100 today. It's going to be a long summer!

Everyone have a safe and happy 4th of July.

Jeanne

7 years ago

We've had a long slow drizzle today. It's very un-Fourth-of-July, but it's wonderful. It's only about 60 degrees. I know those who planned the weekend at the lake, fishing or swimming are moving on to Plan B. I personally like it cooler. I took the opportunity to transplant things while it was cool and wet.

I love the idea of picking lemons, too. Sounds like a great book--can't imagine it for real! Conditions must have perfected recently because I have a couple thousand baby morning glory seedlings popping out. I had been watching for the volunteers, but when it didn't happen--can't believe it just happened at the end of June! Heidi

• Robin 5b Nehls
    7 years ago

Thanks Shirley and Jeanne it took me 8 years these beds in shape. I tell myself no more beds but I can't help myself

• sjc48
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Robin, looks like it was well worth the effort!

I received a nice, long, chatty letter from Faye today! Thank you, Faye, it made a nice break in my day.

Hot and muggy here today, looks like rain, maybe, we sure need it!

Waiting to hear from Melinda and we can close this swap. Hope you all have a great day!

Shirley!