SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peggy_hardaway

Training Morning Glories to a vertical fence.

Peggy Hardaway
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We put up a new exterior cedar fence on the street- facing side of our yard we'll be staining white soon. After it's stained, I want to train blue Morning Glories to grow on it. Our fence has a flat cross board along the top. I have the Park seeds and know about soaking/scarifying them too expedite germination. Are there any suggestions for training them to grow UP and perhaps even over the top to the other side? My mother used to train them on lattice at one house (prefer not to use something that massive or expensive for a 40' fence). At another house, she trained them to wrap around heavy string she anchored into the ground with tent stakes and also at the top of the fence with tacks. But that's going to look real funny until the plants fill out. Plus, I suspect teen pedestrians walking down the street will find the string strung up too tempting to walk on by and ignore. I was wondering if perhaps that orange plastic mesh barrier stuff they use to mark off open construction site pits can be obtained in white. Just found out it can: http://www.fullsource.com/resinet-slm404850-w/?gclid=CKCxn5ze_8wCFQctaQod2bgB9Q.  That would be pretty easy to tack up at the proper angle from the fence. I could secure it just at the corners (top and bottom) and maybe once or twice at strategic points the middle. Any other ideas?

Comments (6)

Sponsored