SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pugetsoundgardener

Training climbing roses on a chain link fence

I planted two David Austin climbing roses - a Heritage Climbing and a Wedgewood Climbing - along a stretch of 4' tall black chain link fence this spring. One of them is really taking off already, so I need to start thinking about training it. I espaliered about 20 fruit trees last year, and I'm assuming it's a somewhat similar process.

If I understand this correctly, I'm supposed to tie the canes out horizontally along the fence as they grow. So here are my questions:

1) How much gap should I leave at the bottom? That is, how far up should I train the lowest cane? Obviously it can't run along the ground. Should I put it 1' up from the ground? Farther?

2) How far apart should I train the canes? Every 1' vertically? Every 2'? Or am I overthinking this?

3) Once the canes are trained are they permanent? Or will they eventually die and need to be cut out and replaced? I see people talking about cutting out dead wood and replacing it, but the old roses I have here don't seem to die out. It's kind of rose Shangri La here.

I'd be happy to hear any other advice anyone has too! I haven't grown climbing roses before. The only roses I have are the ones I inherited and the mini roses I've put in over the last couple of years.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County