SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greystreetdetour

5:1:1 mix comment and question

Lopey
7 years ago

Hi guys. Not a new gardener here, but new to the 511 mix. Zone 5b in Denver and have a question about the mix. Having had good success in #5 nursery pots (3.7gallons) for my determinate tomatoes and peppers, I decided to give the 511 mix a try in them this year. My mix is about 60% pine bark and 40% Sunshine potting mix to account for the incredibly dry environment here in the summer. I also added lime at potting. The Sunshine mix is peat, perlite, ferts and lime.

Now admittedly the May weather has stunk here with heavy winds during the day and threats of hail and nights into the mid 30s. So my plants haven't seen a perhaps adequate amount of sun due to daytime inclement conditions and instead have been penned up in the garage during some of the day and every night.

Since potting my tomatoes they have had a very unhealthy appearance with an odd green color an yellowing to brownish tips. (Pictures below). This has coincided with no growth of the tomato plants whatsoever. Fearing the worst, I decided to take a tomato plant out and repot it in 100% Sunshine potting mix which I have had good success with before. However, What I found was surprising yet intriguing. The roots of the plant had already had tremendous growth within a few weeks time and had shot down the side and to the bottom of the pot looking quite healthy. (Picture below). So, how could the roots be doing so well yet the plant be failing to thrive?

Could it be the attributed fully to the lack of sun? I've fertilized once at full strength with FP since potting, but could it need more fert? Oddly enough the peppers appear to be doing better than the tomatoes with a healthier green color and some new leaf growth, all despite the same exact growing conditions. Therefore, could it be a pH issue? Perhaps I didn't add enough lime? I'm stumped.

For now I am going to let it go and wait for warmer weather of June in hopes that will help. However, if you have any comments or further suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Happy growing guys!

Comments (25)