SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_24200779

rose gardener in Italy wants to start growing clematis-advice?

User
7 years ago

I already have a few clematis in my garden, but now that I've seen what they can do, I want to add more of these beauties. I found a German nusery that offers a bewilderingly vast selection,so I thought it might be worth a try posting here just to see if any one can help me make some choices. I am mainly looking for large-flowered ones that are blue or violet in colour (to contrast with the colours of roses, which are chiefly in the crimson and pink range). Early to mid-season bloom time (that is May-June); later repeat appreciated. Especially fond of blue ones with dark stamens! Any recommendations?

Another question: I have one now blooming in my garden which I seriously thought was "Jackmanii "(I remember buying this one). But from what I read on HMF, Jackmanii is supposed to bloom late.Same thing goes for "Perle d'Azur" (and I am sure of the ID on that one). So, how am I supposed to interpret this thing about bloom times? The funny thing is, several years ago, I tried "Gipsy Queen" and "Lady Betty Balfour",both of which are supposed to be late season and actually DID bloom late (both died). How much does climate influence season of bloom with clematis? Thanks in advance.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz