SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michoudabichon

Please help me choose climbing thornless roses

michoumonster
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi everyone, I have a brown thumb at best, so am in need of assistance from you experts. I am planning my front yard garden and just built a pergola for my front porch. I would love to have a fragrant, climbing, thornless rose there. Would prefer large pink or purple flowers to stand out since the pergola is white.

We get quite a bit of shade due to a giant monterey pine tree that sits right in the middle of the front yard.

I am on the peninsula of the SF Bay area, I believe it is zone 9b. Here is a pic of our house with the new pergola. This pic was taken around 3pm, so you have an idea of the amount of light we get. Our front door faces sort of northeast. Would love the rose bush to be in that area in front of the porch to the right of the steps, so it can climb up the pergola.

These are the roses I was considering, can you recommend which would grow the best in my conditions, or if you could recommend other varieties? Some are not available now, but I saw some could still be found online. Or I could also wait until the right one is available. Thank you so much for your advice!

heritage rose

madame alfred carriere (currently sold online) -- not sure about the white flowers since the pergola is also white

climbing pinkie rose

annie laurie mcdowell

mortimer sackler

Zephirine Drouhin (currently sold online)

Grandmother hat

Comments (15)