SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lyssalea

Landscaping help for shady zone 4 garden (with pics)

lyssalea
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi, all,

I'm in NNY, zone 4 near the Adirondacks, and the house we've moved into has a narrow garden bed all along the front porch. It's been planted with evenly spaced boxwoods, hostas on either side of the stairs, 3 clumps of daylilies, a trio of Oriental lilies at one corner, and a few purple irises at the other. It's in terrible shape though--the boxwoods are dying (aside from one tiny one I replaced last year), the weeds are overtaking everything, and I've never been terribly fond of the planting arrangement. Everything is so evenly spaced, and I prefer something...messier... for lack of a better term. I like a fuller, layered look and more natural for certain. Can I get some recommendations?

I LIKE all of the existing plants--even the boxwoods weren't so bad left unshaped. But since I think I need to rip out the boxwoods, I thought I'd take the opportunity to rehab the whole thing.

I've added pictures below. As you can see, the large maples provide a lot of shade once they leaf out. The front of the house faces roughly Northwest. (The bed wraps around a little farther on the corner that faces the driveway, but that portion actually actually gets a fair amount of light, though, so it has some heuchera that are not visible.)

I am so terribly clueless, but I can't stand how sad this situation has become. I think I'd like some astilbe, but I haven't any clue what to do for more substantial plantings once the boxwoods go. Anyone care to plant plant "dressup" and throw out some ideas? Interested in shrubs and perennials mainly, although I don't mind adding a few annuals each year.

Sincerely,

Overwhelmed Wannabe Gardener

(Please ignore the ripped out stair ballisters! We're mid(many)-projects!)

Comments (4)