SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woojunjae

Orchiata: Suitable for 5:1:1 and/or gritty mix?/Turface woes

CK (Singapore)
7 years ago

Hi everyone!

This is my first post of GardenWeb after lurking behind the screen and reading for the longest time.

I would like to thank Al and the other GW members who have been so patient and kind to share their understanding of soil mechanics within containers. It helps me understand better how to care for my indoor plants in Singapore (most of us don't have the luxury of an outdoor space to grow them)!

I am ready to take the plunge and mix my own 5:1:1/gritty mix for a long term substrate because the bagged soil that I have used have caused me to lost a few plants to rot.

I have sourced around this little island country and found this product: Orchiata. Is this a suitable replacement for the bark component in both the 5:1:1 and gritty mix?

Also, to sneak in another question. I don't think Turface is available in Singapore (non-commercially, I guess). Is crushed LECA a good substitute? Read some threads and seems like some people are using it.

Hope to hear from you guys soon. Once again, thank you for this supportive and nurturing learning environment!

C.K.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022