SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
course411

Help with work zone & banquette design?

course411
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi Houzzers! Excited to be here. DH and I recently bought a sweet 1956 1.5 story Cape for our family of four (kids are 4 and 1.5).

Here is the first floorplan (the circles are river birch trees in the back yard):

Kitchen reno · More Info
We will probably do a number of reno/addition projects over the years but want to start with the kitchen. Here is my inspiration pic:
Classical Kitchen · More Info
And below is my first cut at a floor plan, which includes removing the wall between the kitchen and LR, and adding a ~9' bump out with a banquette and new exterior door to the deck. Note that there is no formal dining room in the house and that we do mostly informal entertaining with family. The tiny print which may not be legible is a first pass at planning lower cabinet storage.
Kitchen reno · More Info
I would love feedback on a couple of specific things (though feedback of any kind is welcome):

1. Work zone locations. The pantry/fridge/bev center are separate from the sink and range. On one hand this might be good as it keeps foot traffic (ie kids looking for snacks) out of the cooking zone; on the other hand is it too far away?? The yellow work triangle is already 32' before accounting for walking around the island. Will we hate ourselves for having this kind of layout? What else could we do?

2. Banquette design. We really like the look of a bay-window-like-angled banquette area but it doesn't look very practical since the people on the angled seats will be kind of far from the table. I'm also concerned the banquette is too close to the DW right now.

If anyone would like to make suggestions, I'm open! We would really like to preserve the windows/views to the back yard (via banquette) and I would prefer to have a window over the sink. And the sunroom (i.e. kids playroom) will be our main point of egress into/out of the house (doors aren't shown) so I like the idea of having a "landing zone/small command center" next to the pantry for mail, keys, school projects, etc.

Looking forward to the advice and ideas of this crowd!

Comments (19)