SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
srb2398061

How to repot African Violets

Anglophilia
7 years ago

My grandmother had a bay window with custom shelves that held her African Violets, which were gorgeous. Every time we'd visit, she'd send a couple home with my mother who would quickly kill them.

Six years ago (and again a year later), we went to a Mother's Day brunch at my daughter's club, and the "favor" for all the mothers, was a small plastic pot with a small African violet in it. I took mine and hers. I put them in a full-west bay window over my kitchen sink and waited for them to die. They didn't! They thrived!

I lost one this past winter, but still have three. One appears to now have three separate plants growing from the original. I fertilize them when they quit blooming. I water them with hot water from the tap and a pitcher with a long narrow spout (I think I remember my grandmother saying no water on leaves). I water until water has run from pot for a bit. I do this once or twice a week, depending on how hot it is outside and how sunny. I'm sure I've broken every "rule" there is about these violets!

I know they need to be repotted. I bought a bag of African violet potting mix two years ago but have never had the courage to do this.

Do I use a plastic or clay pot? How much bigger?

What do I do about those multiple plants on one plant?

Yes, I'm dumb as dirt...

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus