SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

How much stuff do you do for your appearance?

3katz4me
7 years ago

With the various posts about cosmetic procedures, eyelash tinting, etc. I'm just wondering how much of this stuff the average person does - whatever average means. Every time I read these threads I think I don't do much compared to other people.

I get my hair cut and colored every 5-6 weeks to fend off the gray but that's about it other than keeping my weight in check for health and appearance. I don't use much makeup - tinted moisturizer, blush of some sort, mascara and a little eye shadow in some natural shade. Never used primer which has been discussed here. I've never had a pedicure and only one manicure in my life though I do my own application of color to my toes in the summer sandal season. Never had any cosmetic procedures though I'm sure I'd look nicely younger if I did.

I feel like kind of a minimalist in this regard which I'm fine with. It's kind of consistent with not knowing for sure what "cocktail attire" is.

How much do other people do?

Comments (48)

• Springroz
    7 years ago

If I am getting dressed up, I put powder on my freshly moisturized face. Mascara, and a smear of eye pencil on the outside corners of my eyes. No plastic surgeon making boat payments with profits from my face.....lol.

• robo (z6a)
    7 years ago

Very little. I don't wear makeup. I do get lowlights in my hair every 6-8 weeks - I'm going quite grey but it's a very flat colour right now so the lowlights help keep it a bit livelier.

• Related Discussions

How & where do you store your garden stuff?

Q

Comments (10)
    I have peg boards and nails in the garage walls for gardening tools and other hardware. There is also a small workshop on the back of the garage which is now garden/lawn storage. One year I went to a garage sale in the neighborhood and bought two small dressers to put in my garage for garden storage. Gloves, small tools, yarn, hose connectors, bags, etc. go in those. The tools I use every day, trowel, and hand weeder, go in the bottom of a pail by the back door. Like gmjan, I have multiples that I don't often use but might. My favorites go in the pail so I don't have to dig through the drawer. I like the idea of a place to hang them so will consider that. We used to move every 6-8 years but have been here 13 years and "stuff" has increased exponentially. Need to do a good sorting and culling.
    ...See More

Watering Cottage Gardens - Do You, How Do You, How Much

Q

Comments (29)
    Right now, I need a sump pump...and I live on a hill. More rain in the forecast, too. The weather pattern has changed here - normally an El Nino year means severe drought in Oklahoma. Not this season anyway. With our normally semi-dry to dry summers, I use the garden hose to water EVERY day in most areas and every other day in other areas that prefer dryer conditions. We have our own well, so I can also use the sprinkler without ill affects on my plants. It is just like rain water. The birds, butterflies, bees and amphibians love it too. When I hand water, the birds follow me from tree to tree, so I spray up into the trees and they chirp and sing for me. The occasional tortoise will come out of hiding for a long, cool drink, too. I set the mister on the tropicals and water-loving ferns etc. to keep them happy. This takes all day. I use soaker hoses under my veggies when it is very hot and very dry to prevent scorching and so the water will get down deep where the nutrients are and encourage deep roots. For under my Phlox and roses, &etc., I screw on a fan sprayer and let it run slowly, gently and deeply under them to prevent leaf-scorch, and do this as often as needed. I even water in the winter if it is a dry winter. Soil heave (freeze, thaw, freeze, thaw) is terrible here in Okie, and in dry winters this will kill plants and even small trees and shrubs. And of course, potted plants need a drink just about every day in the summer. That is how I have to do it here to keep mine alive year round. ~Annie
    ...See More

How much do you pay for your all natural peanut butter?

Q

Comments (16)
    I'd love it too! I like to eat all over in Grand Rapids, I've got a list of new places to try and I have old favorites too. There's a relatively new Mexican place downtown called maggie's Kitchen, they even have barbacoa made of beef cheeks, there's a Caribbean place with some kind of goat dish that's only got curbside service, a fish place on Kalamazoo down by the Mediterranean Market, and there are old standbys like Pietro's. I love the Blue Water Grill but that's clear over off Plainfield on East Beltline, and there are a lot of places I haven't even tried downtown near VanAndel and The B.O.B. Any preferences? Sushi? Indian? Fish? Diner? Even chain restaurants if you have a favorite, heck, we've even got a Sonic now, right across the street from Gordon Food Service on Alpine, LOL. You tell me when and we'll find a where! I'm definitely going to have to check D&W for Koeze's, though, and the one on 44th has DeRueze's Gourmet Market right next door. They now have a cut rate gourmet department where they get pallets full of stuff for really cheap, it's fun but you never know what you'll find for a buck... Annie
    ...See More

How Do You Organize Your STUFF?

Q

Comments (8)
    I don't keep much cleaning stuff. I use vinegar, nature' s miracle (for pets), bleach occassionally and baking soda. I don't have too many rags etc. Everything fits into one caddy under my kitchen sink. I just carry it to the bathroom. Our bathroom was renovated with no perminent cabinetry, so I bought an old 50's kitchen larder with three shelves on top, one drawer and three shelves below. We make everything fit in here or we get rid of it. Daily use items sit on a small set of shelves beside the sink. My hubby has more stuff to clean his car with than I have to clean a house (or two) with!!! How do we keep organized, I just get rid of "stuff". Now, we are stuff people! Collectors...but we built in shelves and display areas and what I don't have room for I make decisions and edit. I grew up with parents who had closed in built in shelving in the basement and you could hide a lot of usless stuff in there. I decided I wasn't going to do that. One of my best girlfriends is a professional organizer. She is very helpful with my hubby and gives him hints to try and get into the mindset of editing out uselsess stuff in life. I still haven't gotten him to edit paper clutter (he will hide piles, and doesn't even know he's doing it)...although now the "offical" paper clutter must be kept in a portable file or two working photo storage boxes and nowhere else. They get full, he must take the time to edit. Fear of random tossing of piles gets action :) GGG
    ...See More
  • amck2
    7 years ago

I use tinted sunscreen daily and dk. brown gel liner near my top lashes (no eye shadow). Other than that I pretty much do what the OP does. I'll soon be 61.

I'm conflicted about giving up covering my grey. Keep waiting for the percentage of grey to increase. I think women with white hair and young faces look so chic, but I think the in-between stage will not wear well on me.

• always1stepbehind
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I wish I cared a little more about "keeping up appearances". I don't care if people see me with out make up or day old make up and my hair wrapped up on top of my head and baggy sweats out grabbing a coffee on a weekend morning. But maybe I should!! I do envy the woman who always looks put together though. Even if it's a very simple look. I think to myself, now that looks easy to do.

• jellytoast
    7 years ago

Hair cut and colored regularly, I see a dermatologist regularly, and I am not above getting procedures done if and when necessary to look and feel my best. I'm a big fan of peels and get one or two a year. Maintenance for me personally is no less important than maintenance on my house or car. That said, my everyday "beauty" routine is pretty minimalist, but it does include putting on my face (CC Cream, blush, brows, and eyes) and exercising to stay fit. I don't do professional manis and pedis because I can't seem to find the time (but I'd like to!). I'm not ruling out paying for a surgeon's boat someday. :-)

• User
    7 years ago

I like to wear some makeup, but don't overdo it. It's a part of my routine, and doesn't take long. Ditto my hair--it's very easy to do, since it's naturally straight and med length. I wash and dry it every other day, highlights every few months.

I like nail polish, but do my own mani/pedis, usually once a week while watching TV at night.

When budget allows, I want to get a little work done (face) ... nothing drastic, just a refreshment. It's something I'd like to do once or twice a year.

I use a light self-tanning lotion 3 times a week, it's like putting on regular lotion.

I take more effort for a night out, etc, and will spend an hour on shower/makeup/hair/dressing. My husband would say that some of that hour is spent standing in my closet saying, "I don't have anything to wear!" :D

• IdaClaire
    7 years ago

I wash, blow dry, and add a bit of curl to my hair daily (unless I'm having a very low-key weekend and not leaving the house), and when I do go out of the house (unless just going on a quick errand, in which case I couldn't care less) I almost always wear a bit of concealer, plasma foundation and a tiny bit of blusher. I like neutral lipsticks and soft lip glosses. Springtime allergies have rendered eye makeup a losing proposition for me, so I dye my own lashes (as explained in a separate thread) and haven't been worrying with eyeliner, shadow, or mascara lately.

I'm religious about removing my makeup at the end of each day, doing a little cleansing routine, and finishing up with anti-aging product.

Before I dress each day, I apply a softly-scented body lotion and spritz myself with my favorite perfume du jour.

I started getting Voluma and Botox this year and will absolutely continue doing so.

I like to keep my toenails polished. On a special occasion I might polish my fingernails, but I'm so hard on my fingernails that I tend to just skip it and keep 'em short and natural. I could stand to treat myself to a natural manicure more often than I do.

I color my own hair and have it trimmed regularly. It's long and layered, and I don't have to go to my stylist all that often.

• Olychick
    7 years ago

I perm my hair every 6 months or so...it's med length and I can pile it on top of my head in curls and never touch it again during the day. I don't have to blow it dry, just use some curl enhancing product. It's all grey now, but it's a blonde gray, so after years of lightening it to blonde, I now have it naturally. No makeup, no lipstick, nothing, no face cream, nothing but soap and water. I use nude polish on my clipped short nails and toenails.

• User
    7 years ago

A good cut probably every 8-10 weeks, color when needed, either at the salon or on my own when the gray roots start showing.

My make-up takes less than 5 minutes: coverstick in problem areas, light eyeshadow to open up eyes, a bit of liner and mascara. I need new lipstick but haven't had time to shop for it.

My skincare routine is that I only wash my face once a day. Apply sunscreen/moisturizer if I'll be outside.

I'll occasionally get a pedicure but prefer to just do it myself. No manicures--I garden too much and work with my hands.

I exercise regularly and eat well.

I need to get more sleep... I think I'd look better every day if I did.

• Lavender Lass
    7 years ago

Wow, life on the farm. LOL I don't think I have a curling iron anymore (KonMari sort) and use Clairol Natural Instinct (temporary) color on my hair. I put it on about every six weeks, since it matches my natural hair color...knocking the gray down from 20% to about 5%. And that looks like highlights, which I like.

I can't wear any 'face' makeup. Powder, foundation, etc. makes me feel like I have a mask on. I do put on a little blush, eye shadow, eye liner and mascara...which takes less than five minutes!

A cocktail dress sounds like something from the 1960s, which would be fun, but no one I know has cocktail parties. I would like to dress up once in a while, but not much reason to do so. Mostly jeans, boots, cute shirt and big overshirt for work (from home) or outside with the horses.

While I would like to lose a few pounds, I feel pretty good about my appearance, overall. I just got rid of those 'small size jeans' the other day (KonMari sort) because I wondered if they were making me too critical of my weight. I was too thin when my husband was sick (didn't eat much) and that size is not a good one. But if I lost one dress size, I think that would be just right. Meanwhile, I finally have a few curves! : )

Oh, and I love Avon's Skin-So-Soft sunscreen/mosquito lotion. Please don't tell me that's not good for me, because I live in that stuff every summer! LOL

• bossyvossy
    7 years ago

Not as much as I used to do but prob should. But moisturizing is prob the constant

• DYH
    7 years ago

cut & color - every 6 weeks

pedicure (with polish) and manicure (no polish) - when needed

cleanse, moisturize - every night and I have the Clinique version of the Clarisonic, but I don't use it daily.

So that I will get myself out of the house and going (since my DH died), I make a real effort to do makeup --- full on, but it's a natural look. Yes, natural looking makeup takes as many products as "dressed up" makeup. My morning moisturizer, Dr Denis Gross, has SPF as does my foundation (Clinique Even Better); Bobbi Brown brow color, eye shadow cream and liner; Clinique mascara; Bobbi Brown lipstick, blush and illuminating powder. Sounds like a lot of time, but it's 10 minutes.

I've not yet tried any anti-aging treatments, but I'd love to try Kybella or Ultherapy for my neck. My thyroid has to checked every year (I have nodules that have required biopsy), and since I just passed this year's exam, I've got another year to try something.

Today, I stopped by Aveda to look at their stress-relief products. I bought a body creme, a chaka, and oil. I've been stressed out for three years and I need to get myself balanced again, like I was before DH's illness.

I've cut out carbonated diet sodas over the last three weeks. I drink water, unsweetened green tea or almond milk. I can see a big difference in my skin!

I've also gone cold-turkey on sweets. I had been stress eating. If I log everything I eat, I manage it quite well. It's a way to stay mindful.

• IdaClaire
    7 years ago

dyhgarden - I can't recall if I've shared this with you or not, but my DH has been undergoing Kybella treatments (just had his second round about three weeks ago), and has been pretty happy with the results, although they have been gradual. The worst part of it is that the treated area swells badly right afterward, and he looks like a bullfrog for about week.

• tinam61
    7 years ago

I believe in looking your best so I do make the effort. I have good hair - thick and wavy so it's pretty easy to style as I dry. I wash every couple of days. Use good products on my hair, which tends to be dry. Toes are always polished. Light makeup. I don't like the feel of foundation so use mineral. I always cleanse, moisturize and use anti-aging products. I can do my make-up and hair in minutes. I don't go out in something I would care to be seen in. I don't like baggy, oversized, sloppy. Hair color and highlights occasionally. Had had skin cancer so use sunscreen.

A few months ago I switched to CeraVe cleanser (from Cetaphil). My skin is somewhat dry and I like the creaminess of the CV.

I've had no "work" done but do use retinal products and have had light peels.

• tibbrix
    7 years ago

Very little. My lifestyle is very casual. I use moisturizer and I get my hair colored, but that's it. I don't wear makeup. I drink a lot of water. I go as long as I can between shampoos because it makes a huge difference in my hair if I can go a long time. Fortunately I have very thick hair, so I can get away with it for quite a while. Incredible the difference in my hair, though, since I started doing this.

• hhireno
    7 years ago

Specifically for my appearance? Upper lid eyeliner, mascara, fill in brows, lip color.

I vary my hairstyle from frizzy/curly mess to female news anchor poofy but straight (for those who remember, think Jessica Savitch. It's not the look I'm going for but its what I achieve.). Neither look takes more than 10-15 minutes. You're probably thinking, maybe if I took more time with it I'd get better results. Wrong. Tried and failed.

I get my hair trimmed and colored every 6-7 weeks by a professional. I don't have much gray but I feel it needs a color boost. This is non-negotiable.

I don't wear any nail polish on fingers or toes. I've never had a pedi and only had a mani once for a special event. Hated it. Never did it again.

I do exercise and watch my diet but that's not strictly for my appearance. I want to be strong enough to lift my carry-on into the overhead bin of a plane when I'm older. I'm hoping someone else will actually do it, but I want to know I could if I had to.

I use SPF moisturizer every day, drink plenty of water, and get enough sleep.

I find something to laugh about as often as I can. That benefits my health and my appearance.

• artemis_ma
    7 years ago

Very little -- I get my hair cut every 8-12 weeks (it needs it now). I only have an occasional gray hair and so I ignore that. Try to eat healthy. Adding more water to my life. Not really a makeup person.

• Funkyart
    7 years ago

I get my hair cut and highlighted (low lights every 2-3 visits) every 5 weeks. I also get my brows waxed at the same time. I wear makeup daily.. but not a lot. No primer, no lip liner. I use the clairsonic most nights.

I blow dry -- with product to give volume. I gave up curling irons and flat irons years ago.

I get nails done more often than toes.. but both are "if I can fit it in" .. "if I am in the mood". I like french on my nails and color on my toes. In the winter I may go with color on my nails.

I am 52.. no gray yet and while I have lost elasticity and my eyelids are getting "crepe-y", I don't have much in the way of wrinkles.

I need to lose weight. I need to sleep more. I need to drink more water.

• jellytoast
    7 years ago

I'll add that anything I do is a waste if I don't get enough sleep. I look out of it and feel even worse if I don't get enough, so it's pretty much my top priority.

• neetsiepie
    7 years ago

I wish I was organized enough to get regular hair cuts, but I tend to go far too long between them. I've got a cut I like, so if it grows out a bit, it's not a big deal, except my bangs drive me nuts. I'm due for a trim.

I get highlights, and alternate between light and dark as needed. Not a lot of gray, but with my naturally dark hair, they're obvious, so about every other hair cut I get a few highlights done.

I wash my hair about once a week-it's very thick and never gets oily, so if I wash it more frequently it gets very frizzy. The only product i use is a bit of hairspray right after I've washed & blow dried. Every other day I just brush it.

I seldom wear make up because I have allergies, so I tend to rub my eyes and my nose itches a lot, so any make up I put on will be rubbed off. But on the occasion that I do wear it, I focus on my eyes.

I do use a great moisturizer and try to remember sun screen. I moisturize morning and night. I was blessed with amazing genes in that I have grown up a sun worshipper and I have very smooth decolettage and few lines on my face. Mostly when I smile. My poor sister, who is 7 years younger than I looks like a badly worn piece of leather.

• satine_gw
    7 years ago

Was interested in reading this thread because just today I was wishing that I had been more in tune with my appearance while I was younger. I was the least vain person even as a teen just not caring at all about my appearance. Well, all of a sudden Im old and among other things have very fine thin hair, facial hair, double (ok triple)chin and problem teeth. I realize that I could get away with not paying much attention when I was younger but now I am paying for it. I wouldn't know where to begin a "beauty routine". I get my hair cut every 8 weeks or so and don't usually wear make up unless I am going some place special and then it is only foundation, blush and a little mascara. I would love to have a make over and be able to see the possibilities. Oh well, guess my time is better spent reading.

• aok27502
    7 years ago

I'm about as low maintenance as it gets. No makeup, except on special occasions. Sunscreen on my face, because when I'm working outside, everything else is covered. I haven't had my hair cut in a long time because I can't find anyone to do curls. No color, not going there. I get lots of exercise and my weight stays good. No mani/pedi, the mani would be ruined in one work day, and the pedi would be hidden under running shoes or work boots.

The only thing I can think of that I absolutely do every day is brush my teeth. :)

• JustDoIt
    7 years ago

Satine_gw wrote:

"Was interested in reading this thread because just today I was wishing that I had been more in tune with my appearance while I was younger. I was the least vain person even as a teen just not caring at all about my appearance. Well, all of a sudden Im old and among other things have very fine thin hair, facial hair, double (ok triple)chin and problem teeth. I realize that I could get away with not paying much attention when I was younger but now I am paying for it. I wouldn't know where to begin a "beauty routine". I get my hair cut every 8 weeks or so and don't usually wear make up unless I am going some place special and then it is only foundation, blush and a little mascara. I would love to have a make over and be able to see the possibilities. Oh well, guess my time is better spent reading."

Ditto. Especially my time being better spent.

• amylou321
    7 years ago

I get my roots touched up and my ends trimmed every 4 months or so. I wash and blow dry my hair daily,since my hair is very fine and gets greasy and gross if i skip a day. I may skip the blow dryer if im off and have no plans to leave the house.No makeup. I moisturize my face all year. I apply body lotion during the colder months. I am fussy about spraying on a little perfume or body spray daily. I like to smell pretty. (Notice I said a little, I don't really care to be one of those women who suffocate others in a country apple scented cloud of fragrance) I get on my portable elliptical every night at midnight (i work nights and have one at work and one at home) for as long as it takes to get 15000 steps on my fitbit, usually 90 minutes or so. And every other day, i do either a workout dvd or do some weight training.That is the most effort I give to my appearance. Although it doesn't seem to make a difference. I am not adverse to throwing my hands up and going to get liposuction,as it's just the one area that I can't lose.

I would love to get a professional pedicure now and then, but my feet and legs are so darn ticklish that the few times I have had one I almost kicked the poor girl in the face,while maintaining a death grip on the chair arms. I just can't handle anyone touching my feet or toes. Just thinking about it makes them tingle.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    7 years ago

It's pretty funny to me that as a teen, I spent more time on hair and makeup. I was tickled pink when my mother started letting me use makeup. It was probably a good thing because the foundation contained sunscreen and at that time, sun damage was far from my mind. Now, for makeup I use either a moisturizer or tinted moisturizer daily, mainly for the sunscreen protection. Some days, this will include a quick application of blush, brow powder and maybe mascara (unless it is allergy season, then no mascara). I try to remember to use creams at night, but generally forget. I understand the need for night time moisturizers and eye creams but I still have oily skin and most things will lead to a breakout.

I do color my hair every 6 weeks. I started getting gray at 16 and even though I am not yet 40, I am probably about 3/4 gray. I have been tempted to just go all gray but because there is so much, the in-between phase would worry me, especially because I look atrocious with short hair. I wish that I had just stopped when I was much younger and the growing out phase would not have been as obvious. I rarely blow dry (maybe a couple of times a year) and I only use my curling iron a couple of times a month. Most of the time I wash, condition, put in a little styling cream and that is it. Thankfully my hair has a bit of wave.

I try to remember sun screen on my hands when driving but usually forget. If I worked outside of the house, I would probably try to do a little more but as it is, I work at home and when I am not working, I am usually out in the garden where any efforts on hair would be ruined by my garden hat and the makeup would either melt of or get dirt in it.

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

I have fine hair which I have to wash and blow dry every day. I get it cut and highlighted about every five weeks, and I get my brows waxed then too. I love the "messy bun" concept and I wear that a lot.

I never get manicures because my nails are not long and my nail beds are babyish. My one DD has the best nailbeds! They always look great short or long. When I get a mani it looks like someone was playing with Mom's nail polish. OTOH, I like for my toes to look nice and I get regular pedicures. It is the only thing in the whole world that I like in the color red; I always use the color Kennebunkport.

I wash my face with Noxzema and used Sabon scrub sometimes to exfoliate, and Fructis Garnier moisturizer. I use self tan wipes once in a while, especially fond of them for overnight travel to counter the bedraggled look. I love the way it gives one's face a bit of color and yes, shine/glow.

If I am not leaving the house, I tend to give my skin a rest and not wear makeup. If I am just running out, I will use lipline (Chanel nude), a little colored gloss, some powder blush and maybe or maybe not some pencil eyeliner.

If I am going anywhere other than a quick errand, I do a full makeup. I bought primer but don't see what it does for me. I still love my Chanel foundation. I also use their eyeliner and lipliner pencils. Sometimes I also use undereye concealer, not usually. I use eyeshadow, browgel and Chanel mascara, powder blush and lipstick or colored gloss (Chanel has a great new gloss out that has lots of color). I finish it all with a spritz of Evian water and some translucent powder.

I don't wear perfume because so many of the other products I use have some scent already. Plus I don't usually care for it. I've been thinking of trying some Jo Malone scents.

I work out for 90 minutes 2x a week in my pool with a trainer. I try to do something a third day, like spin or walk or bike ride. I eat very well ... lots of fresh fruit and veggies, whole grains, small amounts of meat and I am a water drinker. But I eat too much and need to lose weight. I definitely need more sleep and better sleep habits!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    7 years ago

I've reached the point in my life where if I'm clean and tidy, I'm satisfied. When decorating myself stopped being entertaining I turned to decorating my house instead.

the in-between phase would worry me, especially because I look atrocious with short hair.

I totally understand that. Even though I'm a lot older than you it was a big decision to go with it. I was a bit lucky though because I'd been using henna, which slowly fades. I'd been dark brown but the last hairdresser to cut it said, "Oh, you decided to stop being blonde."

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Got a passport photo taken yesterday - thought it was a good hair day. Hair wasn't bad but the rest of the photo made me think maybe I should be doing more with my appearance....some professional cosmetic work would probably do wonders. I doubt I'll go there though - already appalled at how much I invest in my hair - hate to get hooked on something else.

• User
    7 years ago

Were you smiling in the photo, 3katz4me? I despise my driver's license photo because I didn't smile (but who sits there and smiles for a photo at the DMV?).

I recently learned that I have that "resting b*tch face" thing. My regular, non smiling face looks really mean and kinda old. When I smile, I look a 1000 times better and a few years younger. So, I'm training myself to walk around with my lips slightly upturned.

Editing to alter the curse word above because I think it gets flagged.

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

LOL, Lisa I never called it that but I have the same thing. My Mom did too. Some people's mouths tend to turn down just a bit "at rest". But I feel silly walking around with even a half smile.OTOH I actually really like my passport photo, DL and work photos. I've always been told I am photogenic, which I translate to "gee, you don't actually look that good in real life".

• IdaClaire
    7 years ago

I too have RBF, and I do believe it makes me look older so I'm also making a conscious effort to keep my lips ever-so-slightly upturned. Maybe one of these days my mother will be right and my face will finally "stick like that."

• mitchdesj
    7 years ago

I catch myself looking glum and do a half smile, even alone !!

as for being high maintenance, I guess I am, hair, fillers, botox, lash extensions, nails, I just moved this week and my nails are bare, I can't stand it !! these are all soft addictions, I am well aware of that. I have the time and the means to do all this at this stage of my life and I'm enjoying it immensely so I guess that's what counts.

• bossyvossy
    7 years ago

Uh oh, no Bueno

• IdaClaire
    7 years ago

• MtnRdRedux
    7 years ago

How did I miss this? And it is not my imagination ... it is hereditary. And it gets worse as you get older and your face sags ... great news to look forward to.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/02/fashion/im-not-mad-thats-just-my-resting-b-face.html?_r=0

• kittymoonbeam
    7 years ago

I don't think photogenic people look worse in real life. But some people can glow for the camera. Marilyn Monroe and others could do it effortlessly. I remember an interview where she called that person Marilyn. It's something she called up and didn't think of herself as that person at all because it was a creation and no one took that person seriously as she described it. Men get a serious face and it's considered masculine. We get the B-word. So unfair.

• bossyvossy
    7 years ago

rbf, rbf, my mouth droops at the corners exactly like krysten stewart. She always looks like she has pebbles in her shoes, ha.

• busybee3
    7 years ago

i don't spend a lot of time on my appearance... i wash my face every morning and night- used to use just my hands, but now use a silicone face scrubbie- my mom had such nice skin and she always used a washcloth... i don't love washcloths- wonder if my skin would be prettier if i always used a washcloth over the years... i have some wrinkle creams, but usually forget to apply them, so don't know if they would do any good if used regularly!

i usually wear at least eyeliner and often mascara and lipgloss and light powder or bronzer if going out during the day- a little more makeup if going out at night.

i get my hair shaped 2 or 3 times a year- often will trim myself as needed in between appts. usually color myself... have been mulling over whether to commit to shorter hair and salon coloring, but like the convenience of longer hair and coloring on my own schedule!!

i rarely get a mani and pedi unless there's a very special occasion- rarely wear nailpolish- seems my fingernails do better without it, especially in the summer when my nails easily grow long. i sometimes paint my toenails in the summer when i wear flipflops all the time. i never polish them in the winter.

i shave my legs every day- hate stubble!

too funny about the downturned mouths- my hub's does that- moreso now than when he was younger- he looks angry :( thankfully, he has a nice smile!

• romy718
    7 years ago

Oh yes, my daughter called me right after that article came out to tell me I have RBF.

If there is a chance anyone is going to see me, I style my hair & put on makeup - foundation, gel blush, eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara & eyebrow filler. I do 45 min on the elliptical 4-5 times per week. Now that gardening season has started, I'm too exhausted to exercise. I usually drop 5-10 lbs during planting season.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    7 years ago

Hair: I stopped using chemical processes in my hair. Now it is shampoo and curl goop. Cut every 2 - 3 months.

Face: Facials once every 6 - 8 weeks. Facial wash, serum, moisturizer. Sunscreen as needed.

Pedicure: Every 6 - 8 weeks. No manicures, I'm too tough on my hands, and it isn't worth it anymore.

Body: I like to use a spritz of perfume or a scented lotion on occasion. Eucerin or Kiehl's as body moisturizers. 3 - 4 times a week, I'll heavily lotion my feet and wear cotton socks (I never get too hot).

Lip balm: usually Fresh Sugar, sometimes the tinted version.

• indygo
    7 years ago

Hair cut and color every six weeks. Blow dry hair and curl. Face wash, moisturizer, a bit of foundation and blush. Some lipstick. Done.

• Caroline Hamilton
    7 years ago

Too much! I am definitely a high maintenance girly girl and have been all my life! I am in my early 40's and I am doing all I can to combat aging. The best compliment recently was I was on a college campus and mistaken for a student, lol. I will take it! I've never had any type of cosmetic surgery but I am religious about skin care. I have an olive complexion but I have worn sunscreen all my life. I get facials every 4-6 weeks, microdermabrasion and peels, clarisonic, Retin A and I never go to bed with makeup on. I only use tinted moisturizer, never foundation. I will not leave the house without some type of makeup on. And truthfully even at home I am rarely bare faced. My bare minimum is tinted moisturizer, concealer, blush, powder, eyeliner on the top only, mascara and lip gloss. I love makeup and used to write a beauty blog. For an event I could literally spend 2-3 hours getting ready - I love it! I get a manicure every 5 days, a pedicure every two weeks. I run races so running 25-30 miles a week is my only cardio. I lift weights 3 times a week. I have my hair colored, cut and highlighted every 4 weeks. I am starting to get grays around my face so I am diligent about going every 4 weeks. I also get a keratin treatment every 12 weeks because I wear my hair long and straight so it keeps it shiny and frizz free.

• runninginplace
    7 years ago

Fascinating topic :). I have never been interested in make up, and so never got into much of it. Daily routine is, after washing face, to apply an SPF 30 moisturizer, brow pencil since I plucked most of mine as a teenager and they never grew back, and a dot of Dermablend cover on a small but very pale and noticeable circular scar above one eye where I had a skin cancer removed. Quit bothering with eye shadow and blush years ago, ditto with foundation which is also nasty to wear in the Miami subtropical weather; feels to me like wearing a greasy mask, yuck. Actually the climate here strongly mitigates against the multilayer face 'painting' I read about; cannot imagine plastering on primer/foundation/powder and then leaving it to bake all day especially during what I call our double 90 season (heat and humidity). Have never used lipstick, rarely mascara and never tried eye liner. Have never had an interest in Botox or any other type of intervention or surgical options and probably never will.

I did Invisalign orthodontia several years ago; had lived with crooked teeth until I was 50+ YO and the feeling about my improved appearance/smile, along with the greater ease in keeping up with dental hygiene due to straight teeth has been immeasurably positive.

I have my hair professionally cut and highlighted every 10-12 weeks. Wash and blow dry it every other day, use a straightening iron too often--as I'm aging my hair is developing that brittle overprocessed look that I hate to see. I need to up my use of hair treatments but just haven't bothered. What else--do my own pedicures, no manicures or nail polish on my hands. Did fingernail polish for years on my own but didn't like how it discolored the nails and prefer natural.

I am in major stall on exercise; was doing Pilates regularly with a trainer but she closed her studio and I haven't found a group class with a good instructor on a schedule that works for me. At 58, I badly need to get myself into a regular schedule of cardio, stretching and weight training. Have never had to worry about weight but the tone and fitness lack is worrisome.

I'd call myself diligent in keeping clean, tidy and looking reasonable but in many ways I like being in the stage of life at which I've become 'invisible'. It's very freeing in a lot of ways not to worry about trying to live up to whatever i social acceptability standard for appearance is out there for women these days :).

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    7 years ago

in many ways I like being in the stage of life at which I've become 'invisible'.

Me, too, runninginplace! I never imagined how nice this would be. Used to think it would be horrid.

• arkansas girl
    7 years ago

That's interesting the whole "invisible" idea! I never thought of it that way. I'm at the stage where I just stopped being "visible" so I haven't yet gotten used to it. I feel like that almost over night I went from pretty to pretty old. I hate it! Having been a "head turner" my entire life (not bragging, it's just how it was), it's hard to adjust to being invisible. My husband still thinks I'm gorgeous so that's all that matters I suppose! :)

I wear at least a small amount of makeup if I go anywhere. If I'm going out to eat or something nice, I still feel I must wear a full face of makeup and fix my hair. It's the Texan gal in me that will probably never go away. I've noticed that where I live in Ohio, most women just do not wear makeup or fix themselves up a whole lot. Now, I will actually go to the grocery store without mascara! HAHA! As I've aged though, my makeup is quite subtle. I used to wear dark eyeshadow and bright lipstick. Now it's brown eyeshadow and faint smudged brown eyeliner and neutral lipstick, just slightly darker than my lips. Most days you will find me wearing a pony tail, the long hair is just too hot on my neck. When I was younger, I would wash my hair daily and style it and always wore it styled and down unless I was at the beach or camping.

• User
    7 years ago

I'm in my 40s and I regularly take note of women in their 50s and 60s for inspiration. I notice their hair, what they're wearing, their shoes, etc. You're not invisible. Ever.

• LynnNM
    7 years ago

I grew up in and on the Great Lakes and then moved to South Florida on the ocean. Lots of sun, lots of tans and lots of sunburns have made me very, very careful these past years since I became a mom. The very real possibility of skin cancer caused me to become super cautious. i always wear good sunscreen. Water has always been my favorite beverage and I drink it all day long. I rarely drink a soft drink. I have my hair cut, touched up and subtle highlights added every 6-7 weeks. Not too much gray except for my almost white "Morticia Wings" at my temples if I don't have them colored. Ugh!

I see my manicurist every 3 weeks. I dislike colored polish because I'm always chipping it. Instead, I have French nails, as I like that more natural look. I adore pedis, but usually just get them in the Summer months or before a trip.

i run on my elliptical several times a week to stay in shape. I've taken the Winter off from my yoga and Tai Chi classes because they were so far away, 30 minutes via interstate. I need to start them up again . . . someplace.

I always wear my Neutragena moisturizer that has 50 SPF during the day. Hardly ever wear foundation, and almost never during the day. Our sun here at 6,000 ft. above sea level is more intense and the air is clear and bright. Foundation and powder tend to become very obvious. I do wear mascara, a bit of eye liner, and now a bit of brow pencil, as well. I very rarely use eye shadow, and then, only for very dressy evening events. Always Chapstick or lipstick, but my lipstick is most often a natural rose color, just a bit darker than my natural lip color.

My hair is a light to medium brown, straight and cut just past my shoulders now. It used to be about 5" longer until last year. I sadly have absolutely no talent for styling my hair. I curl it with hot rollers, part it on the side or haul it up in a messy topknot or ponytail. That's the sum of my "styling", but it looks attractive enough. Pretty earrings help, too. I look a good ten years younger than my actual age. But that is just sheer luck inheriting good genes from both my parents, sunscreens and all the water I drink daily, and not to any surgeries, Botox, etc. I might be tempted to try fillers above my lips someday, but that's about it. I also think that a non-aging hair style and clothes help a lot.