SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kentrees12

A Question of Pollen

kentrees12
8 years ago

The pollen count on the local TV stations has always interested me, mainly because I mentally compare what kinds of pollen are being reported and what kinds of trees or plants are currently blooming and producing pollen. The latest pollen count out of Nashville TN lists sweetgum, among others. This is interesting because sweetgums in MidTenn usually bloom anytime from late March to mid April, and they are currently sporting little green gumballs. This year peak bloom was ca early April. So where is this pollen coming from? Sweetgum is widespread in the deep south, less so here but still plenty of trees, and much less further north. Deep south trees have long since bloomed as have local trees, and I'm not sure when the more northern populations bloom. So, how far does tree pollen travel on the wind? Could pollen from trees 500 miles or more to the north be reaching here? Or is the pollen being mis-identified? I use sweetgum as an example but I've noticed the same with other species. Elm and redcedar pollen is reported in April and the trees here bloom in Feb-March. Maple is reported when local trees are shedding their samaras. Does local pollen stay airborne for weeks at a time? A quick search on line hasn't resulted in a satisfactory answer, and I doubt an email to the local mets would accomplish anything, when they show Bradfords blooming and call them dogwoods LOL. You can see I have time on my hands, BUT, inquiring minds want to know!

Comments (4)