SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mongoct

Kerdi Shower Part Three

MongoCT
7 years ago

First, the photos for this thread are from a magazine shoot almost 20 years ago. Though time has passed, the methods are still pretty much the same. The photos are being reposted because many of the photos were stripped out of the thread when G'web transitioned to Houzzzz.

You can find some Q&A (but with some missing photos) on the previous Kerdi Shower Part Deux thread.

A few points:

1) Kerdi membrane is still Kerdi membrane. It can be used as a waterproofing membrane in showers and tub surrounds. If you want a steam shower and you still want to use Kerdi, use Kerdi-DS. Options other than K-DS are other sheet membranes, foam boards with membrane facing, or liquid membranes that have the appropriate perm rating for use in a steam shower.

2) Kerdi can be installed over drywall. Yup, regular gray papered drywall. It can be installed over other types of backer boards as well, I use cement board, usually Durock, sometimes Wonderboard. Many DIYers have had difficulty installing it over Hardie due to the water-wicking nature of fiber-cement.

3) Thinset use. Schluter does have guidance as to what thinsets (modified versus unmodified) can be used with Kerdi. Read up and follow their guidance of you want to stay under the umbrella of their warranty support.

4) Hang the membrane then leave the membrane alone. Yup. Curiousity has seemed to kill many a membrane installation. When you hang a sheet membrane like Kerdi, it can take longer for the thinset to cure. Don't come back a few hours later, or the next morning and try to peel the membrane off the wall. You'll probably be able to. But you won't be able to re-stick it, so you'll have to start over. Hang the membrane, then go play croquet for a couple of days. Then come back and tile.

5) If you have any questions, sure you can ask here. But manufacturers have tech support lines. Call them. If you're in the midst of a project, have photos available that you can either email to the tech or a URL for a photo hosting site that you can refer the tech to so the tech can see what you are describing. Pictures can indeed be worth a thousand technical words.

On to the deleted photos:

ABOVE: Shower is a large walk-in, roughly 5'x8'. Entry is a corner entry through a 45-degree opening with no door. Valve wall is on wall to immediate right, allowing water to be turned on without being hit by spray. Two valves, one for the wall-mounted handheld wall shower, one for the ceiling rain head. Back wall has a large two-shelf niche. Ceiling has four 4" can air-tight lights with LED bulbs and gasketed trim kits and a vent grate.

In the above photo, the cement board on the walls has been misted in prep for thinset. Hanging the Kerdi on dry cement board can result in the cement board wicking the water out of the thinset, resulting in a poor cure and poor adhesion.

ABOVE: I ran a carborundum stone across the cement board to knock off any thinset blots. It'll also catch on any screw heads that are not fully recessed. Just make sure the wall is smooth.

ABOVE: Tape measure in right hand measuring out from the corner to my right. Plumb bob in left hand. Going to mark a vertical line on wall to which I'll align the left edge of the sheet of Kerdi.

ABOVE: Thinset mixed up a little loose. When it goes on the wall you want it to be wetter than a normal thinset mix, but still stiff enough to adhere to the wall and to hold ridges when you comb it out. When mixing thinset, you mix it. Then let it slake. It'll stiffen up while it slakes. Then you mix it again to loosen it up and then get it on the wall.

ABOVE: Thinset on the wall, using the plumb line as a guide. Get it on with the flat edge of the trowel, working it onto the texture of the cement board. Work deliberately. I work bottom-to-top.

ABOVE: Thinset combed out with the notched edge of the trowel. The notched edge allows the proper amount of thinset to remain on the wall.

ABOVE: Hanging the first sheet. Some hang horizontal, I hang vertical. I st it at the top and run my open palms across the top, center-to-edges, to stick the sheet to the thinset. Then I run my hands down the center of the sheet, top-to-bottom. Right now the sheet is bright orange and you may be able to see the muddy thinset ridges through the sheet, they show as striping. As it embeds in the thinset it'll turn a muddy orange.

ABOVE: Top half of the sheet is embedded in thinset and is a darker orange. Bottom of the sheet is not embedded and it still bright. I use a 4" drywall taping knife to embed the sheet in the thinset. Run top-down and center-to-the-edges. You might get a little squeeze out at the edges of the sheet. No worries. The vertical dashed line printed on the sheet is 2" from the edge of the sheet. That's your guideline for getting a 2" overlap at the seams.

ABOVE: Occasionally you may get a small area where thinset is lacking behind the Kerdi. With the drywall knife you can try to pull thinset from the surrounding areas into the void. If the void is small as in this photo, it's no big deal. If the area was larger, you could slice the void and inject a little thinset, smoosh it around, flatten the area out, then patch the slice with a Kerdi patch.

ABOVE: First sheet fully embedded, and muddy orange in color.

Comments (44)