SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karrieannbean

HVX Troubles and Q about planting in this area

karrieannbean
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi there,

This is my first post and I'm hoping to cry a bit on shoulders of those who may be able to give me some advice.

A little backstory. The hosta pictured, are now residing in their new home under a large pine tree. I transplanted them from an area across the yard that used to have a large maple tree that they lived under. The maple tree was rotting and was cut down leaving the hosta to suffer under a rather brutal summer, here in the PNW, last year. They were very unhappy. I moved them to their new space under the pine a few months ago, moving the all green ones first, as they were poking up through their mulch before the white edged one.

I noticed that the leaves seemed somewhat deformed on the all green hosta and sort of chalked it up to the stress of the past summer and possibly the mulch (I just thought of that possibility though the mulch was only small dried maple leaves).

I was pleased with how well they all took the transplanting and, from afar, they look so beautiful. But the leaves kept me unsettled and I happened upon a post somewhere talking about this mysterious HVX. Now I'm really worried but most of what I found talked about being able to see light through the leaves and at that time all I had seen was this odd deformity on some of the leaves.

Mother's Day weekend, the local university extension had a plant sale and I bought 4 more hosta. I asked the master gardener about HVX and she left me with the impression that mine were probably ok. She had never heard of leaf deformity caused by it, but rather, the see-thru appearance was the real proof of the virus and I had not seen this in my hosta. That's all changed now. As you might be able to tell (terrible picture. Sorry) the leaves now appear stripped of their moisture and I can now see light through those areas. The sound you now hear is my heart breaking. ...sniffle...

Now I'm not sure what to do. The green hosta are obviously affected. More heartbreak due to the fact I moved the white edged one last without sanitizing my tools between. It looks fine but what if? Ugh!!

Question #1 :

-Should I remove the white edged hosta, too?

Looking at the picture of the hosta bed you can just make out the new ones still in their pots. One to the far right in front of windows, 2 in the middle, and a blue toned one peeking over the white one. The markers are some very old bulbs I planted but don't think they are viable. No signs of life. I bought fresh dahlia bulbs after planting those and it was then that I realized all that work was likely for naught. (Rookie!)

Question #2 :

-Is it safe to plant the new hosta in this same area in un-dug spots? It's a great place to raise a hosta family but for that deadly virus lurking around.

Question #3 :

Could I swap out a bunch of the soil for soil from another area in the yard? I read that HVX only affects hosta plants and it won't infect other types of plants.

Thanks for your support during this difficult time. And while this is written a bit tongue in cheek, the pain is real. Thank you for the shoulder and also for any advice. Besides scotch. ;)

karrieann

Comments (7)