SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gsciencechick

Marta Polka

gsciencechick
7 years ago

I got a seedling of a Marta Polka pepper from a neighbor. I transplanted it a couple of weeks ago to a large pot. It doesn't look like it's dying, but it's not growing much either. The jalapeno is growing a little bit more, also in a pot. Anyone have any experience with these peppers?

Comments (12)

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

It's probably transplant shock. How large was the plant? Was the plant in ground or in a pot before you received it? Also a pic would be helpful.

• gsciencechick
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'll get some photos tomorrow. It was a seedling in a small planter. He started these from seeds. It is maybe 4" tall.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    7 years ago

Was it hardened off? It could be sunburn also.

• aniajs
    7 years ago

Peppers take forever to get going. 4'' is still quite young for a pepper. Going from a small container to a much bigger one is sometimes hard for the seedlings since their roots take a long time to grow into it.

• gsciencechick
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here are the Marta Polka in the orange-rimmed pot, and the giant jalapeno in the green-rimmed pot. The tomato seedling (Giant German Johnson) we got from him is doing great. Thanks.

Marta Polka

Giant Jalapeno

• isgen
    7 years ago

If only my pepper seedlings grew half as fast as the tomatoes... :)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

What kind of potting soil are you using? That looks like a lot of wood pulp in there. If so, that is your problem. Put it into a regular potting mix or something without so much wood pulp.

• gsciencechick
    Original Author
    7 years ago

It's the "Harvest Superpower" organic potting mix from Lowe's in the pink and black bags.

• the_northeast_chileman
    7 years ago

It's the "Harvest Superpower" organic potting mix from Lowe's in the pink and black bags.

HARVEST 32-Quart Organic Potting Soil Reviews

While many reviews were complimentary I did notice:

The soil is heavy when wet for potting purposes I added perlite to the mix to lighten the soil for better drainage and young seedlings that didn't like the heavy soil. After this was done my plants did much better.

I've used this in combination with a few other organic mixes and really like the base this one provides. It's a bit heavy by itself, depending on your particular use, but a great product. Have purchased on multiple occasions.

Harvest Organic potting mix is the worst mix I have ever used. It contains way too many wood chips and the wood chips are much too large. I had to screen the mix just to be able to use it. I have tried many organic mixes, Espona, Miracle Grow, Happy Frog and others, which I will buy again. I will never buy Harvest again. I regret that it is the only brand that Lowe's sells.

Surprised that this soil is being sold. It was of such poor quality, I did not use it. First of all it was filled with water and had a muddy consistency. It had a mildew/mold growing on the surface and throughout the bag. I set it out for the garbage man to take. The organic label is what sold me on this soil, but after giving it some thought all "soil is organic". I would rate it lower if I could.

IMO in your pix the media looks soaked/saturated.

• gsciencechick
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Unfortunately, we have had about a week of rain pretty much every day. :( It is finally over.

The reviews we read were good, but it seemed that it is favored a lot by pot growers, LOL.

I looked at the peppers today, and the MP looks like it has grown slightly. The jalapeno definitely has grown. Our other green peppers have shot up.

So, do you recommend I replant it with a different soil, and if so, what? We are newbies, so I apologize if I seem clueless.

• gsciencechick
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Update: It has grown a little bit and is looking much better.

Sponsored