SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jnavarro31

Flowering shrubs for part shade

jnavarro31
7 years ago

Hello everyone. I am in the process of making some significant changes to our yard, including creating a few new garden beds and extending a few others. I am looking for a couple of recommendations for shrubs I can grow in a narrow space between the front of our deck and the fence. The space measures approximately 15' wide by 5' deep. The area receives a mix of direct and dappled sunlight, totaling about 4-5 hours, with most of it coming after 11:00 am or so. It is on the west side of our house and there is a large park adjacent, meaning it is prone to the prevailing winds. However, we are in the process of installing a 5' wooden privacy fence that should create a nice windbreak.

On either side of this area, both of which receive substantially more sunlight, I have some philadelphus that I am going to plant (right next to a patio for the fragrance) and some double red Knock-Out roses.

Any suggestions for flowering shrubs that will fit the bill? Ideally, I would want something that will grow somewhere between 4'-6' tall or so, and I don't mind pruning to keep it that size.

I'm strongly considering a couple of hydrangea quercifolia 'Snow Queen' because of their 4-season interest. I also love Korean Spice viburnums, but I'm not sure if they'll get enough sunlight in that spot. I have one now tucked in a corner bed that gets about 6 hours of direct light and then some dappled light and it seems very happy.

Thank you!

Comments (6)