SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

a few spring pics of uncommon varieties

davidrt28 (zone 7)
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Tim wanted to see the flowers of the Kehr max X calophytum sold by Rarefind. Not great but about as expected. The first day they were actually quite pink colored, and then "bleached" out with a few hours of sun. All colors have been very strong this year because of the cloudy, cool weather we've been having.

'Viscy' has never looked so good, the flowers lasted a solid 2 weeks, too. Started peachy pink but stabilized on a pretty good light lemon-yellow. Again the cool weather helps explain why pictures seen of this in say the UK or Netherlands show a better yellow color than we usually get with our sunnier springs.

'My Jane' would be considered to have a better truss, but the color was not as saturated or as consistently hued. The edges are whiter. The best, strongest yellow that is fully hardy here is 'Jenny Tabol' but the plant somewhat struggles with my summers and is shy to bloom...I have a graft that should do better in the garden and be blooming in a couple years.

Here is 'Sun Dust'. This plant and the very similar looking 'Glow Light' look orange from a distance...might be the best we can hope for until there's more work breeding tough orange plants. ('Medusa' will always be touch and go around here) I've heard the Andersons have an even better hybrid along these lines but it isn't in production yet.

This one is 'Lisetta'. A nice compact red from Hachmann.

'Cinquero' bloomed for the first time. I was a little disappointed because I thought this would be more of a coral-pink color. However, as they aged the flowers took on a nice bicolor effect...so for a plant that is "just a pink" I'd say this is pretty nice.

Lastly 'Opal Thornton'. Just including this as an example of a heat tolerant hyperythrum hybrid. I think the flowers are showier than the other hyperythrum hybrids I have, 'Martha Player' and 'Charles Loomis'.

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals