SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bobgodd

Navel orange tree training/trimming/pruning?

bobgodd
7 years ago

Hello. I've got a navel orange tree in my backyard that I have some concerns about. Firstly, the tree is mature-ish I think, it was already established when we bought the house 4 years ago. It's about 15 feet or so high, but not as wide as a full grown tree, probably due to bad pruning, just a guess though.

A few months ago the fruit was amazing, but these days they're mostly on the dry side and blah. Is it better to pick them all off and save the tree from using resources on fruit we won't eat, or just let it all happen naturally?

Another big issue I have is that I know at full growth this tree will be large and wide, and unfortunately it is planted roughly 2-3 feet from the fence that I share with my neighbor. A good chunk of the tree hangs into their yard and is starting to get very close to their awning. They haven't mentioned that it bothers them yet, but I'd like to be a responsible neighbor before that happens. Do I have any options here for keeping most of the tree out of their yard?

Comments (6)