SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
macgyvers2000

Spray foam... needed in small cavity?

macgyvers2000
7 years ago

The intent is to have a company come in and spray the entire basement perimeter with 2" of closed-cell foam. Beforehand, I'm erecting stud walls around the perimeter roughly 3" away from the cast concrete wall, with a 3/4" plywood firebreak above the top plate. All walls running perpendicular to the joists have been erected since the sprayer can still reach the end of each joist bay.

However, I've held off on all walls running parallel to the joists as the firebreak would typically block access to the entire joist bay. Therefore, I intend to use one of those two-part DIY spray foam kits to insulate the joist bays that will be completely enclosed, finish the parallel walls, and THEN have the guys come in for the majority of the spraying.

The photo below is a bit confusing due to the close-up nature of the shot, but the main joist bay actually runs from the top left-hand side of the pic towards the bottom right-hand side. The I-beam in the majority of the upper-half of the photo is actually a short piece of blocking within the bay. The right-hand 1/3rd (near bottom) shows the end of a stud wall (running perpendicular to the main joists/bay) with the 3/4" plywood on top.

Notice the small area where the insulation is partially pulled down (lower left-hand corner of pic)? That's where my question lies. What you see behind the insulation is the rim joist for the house... it's offset from the I-beam about 3-4", leaving an uninsulated cavity about 18" high and running the length of the I-beam. The fiberglass batts I removed (not in pic) were in front of the I-beam.

So here's the question... when I spray, do I: 1) need to fill that cavity from top to bottom (which would be extremely difficult to do, since other than near the window, the concrete juts out too far to allow me to get the gun in there), or 2) am I safe with spraying only the bottom gap (between concrete top and I-beam bottom flange) and the entire web of the I-beam?

My thinking is option #2 is safe as it will create enough of a thermal barrier to prevent condensation from forming within that cavity... but I'd like to hear other opinions before starting to spray. How do the professionals handle such spaces, as I imagine any home built with the I-beams have similar gaps?

Thanks!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida