SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biondanonima

West-facing slope in front of house - need suggestions! (Zone 6b)

biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

My husband and I are buying our first house this summer. We expect to close by August 1, September 1 at the absolute latest. The house is built into a west-facing hill on the Hudson River, so both the front and back yards are steeply sloped. The back yard is planted with ground cover/grass that looks to be in reasonably good shape, so although I have plans to change some things eventually, no immediate action is needed.

However, the front is a disaster - here are a couple of photos.

The current owners obviously lost interest over the past couple of years, so in addition to the motley assortment of weeds, shrubs and who knows what else, there is a layer of burlap and plastic sticking up in the center and I have no idea how far it extends. It's hard to tell from the photos, but the distance from the rock wall at the bottom to that row of hedges at the top is about 10-12', and I would estimate the angle to be around 45 degrees.

I would love to pull out everything from the wall to the hedges and put in a very low-maintenance ground cover or assortment of plants that will prevent erosion and provide at least some color/visual interest. If I can plant in the beginning of August, the plants would have a couple of months to get established before the first frost. Suggestions? Thanks in advance for your ideas!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths