SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
uscroy

Toilet options - Kohler Veil Intelligent vs Toto Neorest 550h

uscpsycho
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Has anyone considered these toilets? What did you pick? Or anyone have an opinion on one over the other?

Last year I made a deposit on the Toto but then the Veil came out and it's less expensive. It also doesn't seem to lack any of the Toto's features, looks to me to have a few more features, so it seems like a better buy. Am I missing something?

If any fellow nerds who dig technology want to look the specs over and give me their thoughts here is some info.

Kohler:

http://www.us.kohler.com/us/Veil-Intelligent-skirted-one-piece-elongated-dual-flush-toilet/productDetail/toilets/1120267.htm

http://www.us.kohler.com/webassets/kpna/brochures/Veil_Integrated_Sell_Sheet.pdf

Toto:

http://www.totousa.com/neorest%C2%AE-550h-dual-flush-toilet-10-08-gpf

http://assets.totousa.com/product-files/SS-00633_MS982CUMG.pdf

Comments (27)

• yosemite1234
    7 years ago

Just curious to see which you picked. We are considering a neorest (did not consider Kohler) and in analysis paralysis mode.

here is one I was looking at

http://www.faucetdirect.com/toto-ms980cmg-neorest-one-piece-elongated-1-05-gpf-toilet-bidet-with-cyclone-flush-system-automatic-open-close-seat-included/p1150441

• uscpsycho
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I haven't purchased it yet but I'm fairly sure I'm going with the Veil.

If you're considering the 550 I'm curious what you see as the benefits it has over the Veil? I see the Veil as having more features at a lower price.

The 550 has an auto-flush feature that the Veil lacks but I've had a lot of bad experiences with auto flush toilets in public restrooms. Not sure if the Toto version works much better but if it's anything like the ones in public restrooms I wouldn't want it.

• yosemite1234
    7 years ago

Hi usc

I have not really researched this yet. I have just started looking and this was one I saw on faucet direct so no real logic behind the choice. Ill look more at the Veil: had only considered Toto for some reason!

• uscpsycho
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you for that info. Resistance to clogging is actually very important in this household.

I checked out the map testing site and even the Kohler Numi (big brother to Veil) hasn't been tested and it has been out for several years. So waiting for the Veil to be rated is impractical because it may never be rated.

However, of all the Kohler toilets that were tested -- and it's a lot -- only four scored lower than 800. So I hope I can reasonably assume that the Veil and Numi (which I'm also interested in) would score above 800.

• rmverb
    7 years ago

What is your reasoning for going with a $5,000 toilet?

• newbeginnings72
    7 years ago

rmverb: great question. I asked my husband the same thing. It seems those who've experienced these toilets through work or travel... love them! And find it healthier. My husband insists on the neorest, but I also saw the Kohler advertisement. Hope this conversation gets bumped up... in case anyone has compared Kohler and Neorest?

• amandarae15
    7 years ago

I have 2 different Neorests and LOVE them. I'm now moving to a new house and was checking to see what is the newest thing on the market and saw the Veil by Kohler. Not sure if I should stay with tried and true Neorest or consider Veil. Would love to know if anyone has the Veil. Mostly interested because the look is sleeker and more attractive looking. If it has all the features of Neorest and works just as well (my Neorests have never clogged, that's the most important thing for me, as well as self flushing).

• Judy Ward
    6 years ago

I am researching the Neorest 550H. Has anyone purchased either the Neorest or the Veil? I'm looking to make the purchase this week.

• pdennis
    6 years ago

Did you end up buying a Neorest? I too am trying to decide between the Neorest or the Veil. The Veil has a 150 day time for delivery right now which doesn't work in it's favour.

• lizweiler
    6 years ago
    I LOVE the Toto! Have never had any problem with them. Also, building a new home and would love to hear reviews of Veil.
  • Judy Ward
    6 years ago

I ended up buying the toto Carlysle II with the Connect Washlet 350E. I am tall and felt that the Neorest 550H would be too low. The Neorest 700H would be the one I would have gotten because it's taller than the 550H but it's $7k. I bought the Carlysle/Washlet and am very happy with it.

• Nidnay
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

We ended up getting the Kohler Veil Intelligent. Haven’t had the chance to take it for a test drive yet.

• blondelle
    6 years ago
    $5,000+ for a toilet? Why? What makes it cost so much? That's insane!!!
  • Garderner2014
    6 years ago

Nidnay, would you please keep us posted on how you like the Veil. I am adding one to my master bath, was concerned about the loudness of the flush. Could you please let me know what color the bath wall are?

Thanks

• Nidnay
    6 years ago

Garderner2014......yes, I will definitely post back with an update.

• lisaandmarcel
    5 years ago

nidnay how are you liking the Veil toilet ???

• Nidnay
    5 years ago

lisaandmarcel.....we have not moved in yet (very soon), but have tested it out and use it whenever we are on site. We love it! A bunch of family members and some friends have also tried it out and they all loved it as well. I think the only function that doesn’t really work that well is the dryer. You really would have to sit there a loooong time to get completely dry, so you will need a very small amount of toilet paper for that. The heat setting for the dryer can get pretty hot on the high setting, but the force of air is just not powerful enough to dry thoroughly.

Gardener2014 was concerned about the loudness of the flush. I don’t find it louder than any other toilet. It is a very powerful flush though. Love the night light (there is a sensor that turns on the light when it gets dark).

So, can’t report on daily usage yet, but our limited experience has been great.

I think the one missing feature is a memory for individual users. It would be nice to push a button and all the functions were adjusted to preset selections for different users. That would be my only gripe at this point.

• lisaandmarcel
    5 years ago

Oh Thank you so much ! Nidnay I was just at Kohler today, didn't see much in toilets then went to leave and used their bathroom, which had this in it and OH BOY ! It was so comfy and the hygiene and such seem awesome, plus warm on those cold winter nights. The light would be neat also. PS You kitchen is stunning !!! looks super nice LOVE the walnut island top and shape of hood vent.

• PRO
  • Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5 years ago

It sparks joy for sure ^^^^^ I am very happy with my Toto. I uninstalled a bidet in favor of the Toto system.

• bigsvenyo5
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

We have a Toto washlet seat in one bath and a Kohler veil toilet in another. I was so happy with the Toto seat (which we had first for a couple years prior) that I really wanted to stick with Toto, but we really liked the Kohler veil appearance over the Toto models. The Kohler works great. I've seen negative reviews about it's flushing performance, but it flushes really well in my opinion. My only gripe with the Kohler is that the Toto control has two buttons for positioning the sprayer: Forward or back. The Kohler is a single button that cycles thorough the positions so it is less convenient. The veil is in a small bath, we have the lid auto open set to 'near' and it works great, you have to stand very close for it to open, which is good. I like auto opening covers, but not when they are annoyingly overly sensitive. I like that the kohler sprayer is stainless steel rather than plastic. Net result: can't go wrong with either

• Helen
    4 years ago

I just finished a remodel and opted for a Toto Connect + with a Washlet 550e which is the most fully featured washlet available.

I skimmed the specifications for the Neorest just now and had read about it more extensively when selecting my new toilets and I don't see any advantage to the Neorest versus my system which is significantly cheaper.

The new modern Washlet seat is significantly less engorged looking than the older bulky models. The Connect+ means that there is no separate water conection so there is only the standard water line plus the electrical connection.

I opted for a skirted one piece Toto toilet which has great flushing capabilities as well as the Sana-finish which is supposed to ward off cleaning problems. I have NEVER had any issues in terms of anything adhering to sides. This is probably helped because there is a pre-mist function which wets down the toilet when I approach it and the seat rises.

My seat automatically rises and is heated although since I live in Los Angeles and a cold tush is not one of my issues, I don't use that feature.

In terms of actual bidet functions, it seems to have the same capability as the Neorest with the ability to have a forward function with a wide wash for woman's configuration :-).

My toilet was one of the more expensive and pretty much resembles a Neorest since it has very sleek sides although it is a comfort height which I am glad of - not sure how high a Neorest is. However the final cost for both together was probably closer to $1500 - it was suppled through my designer and even with her markup, the trade discounted price was significantly lower than even the lowest discounted internet prices.

Since I suspect a washlet mechanism will break down before a toilet needs to be replaced, I am glad that I have the ability to just install a new washlet down the road.

I was never going to get a $5000 toilet (even assuming that it would have been cheaper with a discount) and am curious as to what the actual advantage of the Neorest is in terms of either functionality or even coolness as opposed to the Toto.

As to the Neorest versus the Veil, I don't really know except that a good friend with many bathrooms installed some Kohler toilets and some Toto toilets and said that she wound up replacing all of the Kohler toilets because the Toto models were much better - I assume in terms of clogging and flushing.

• Nidnay
    4 years ago

Helen.....I have all Kohler toilets but only one Kohler Veil Intelligent cleansing toilet. I have to say that ALL of my regular Kohler toilets are pretty weak when it comes to flushing, but the Veil Cleansing toilet has a ridiculously powerful flush....so no problem in that department.

• PRO
    myricarchitect
    4 years ago

“Since I suspect a washlet mechanism will break down before a toilet needs to be replaced, I am glad that I have the ability to just install a new washlet down the road”

for the Neorest - the toilet part & washlet part are ordered as 2 separate items, the top part can be replaced independently if it breaks.

• Helen
    4 years ago

myrica4 - point taken in terms of the seat being replaceable separately.

I am curious as to what the difference in functionality between the Neorest and a Toto toilet fitted with the 550e because my toilet seems to have the same functionality although I might have missed something. There must be something that I'm missing.

@niday - Interesting that the Kohler flushing is different for the veil. When I read the specs for the flushing of the Neorest, the "cyclone" action appears to be used in other Toto toilets.

• bigsvenyo5
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

@nidnay. Agreed, the Veil creates a powerful vortex from the underside of the lip down to the trap opening. Make certain you understand the water pressure requirements and that the valve inlet is a larger diameter than standard toilets. Read the installation manuals on any automated toilet. Okay, that's the most I've talked about toilets in 4 life times :-)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022