SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_6896100

Sheet Vinyl Thoughts/Recommendations

8 years ago

We had Congoleum Armorcore UR installed over a concrete slab in a rec room in our barn last week. We chose it because we thought it would hold up to the wear and tear of kids playing and our large dogs. Within two days of installation (and with no traffic other than our contractor putting in the quarter round) I noticed a small tear atop what seemed to be a small piece of debris underneath the flooring that wasn't removed before install. On further inspection I found two more digs where the top coat of the vinyl had torn away revealing the white under layer. I also noticed about 8 more spots where debris was left under the flooring and will most likely lead to a tear.

The floor was also not glued down at all. We chose this specific floor because it had the option of perimeter or full glue down. We specified full glue down because we knew that the room would get a lot of crazy traffic.

Is Congoleum Armorcor a poor quality flooring? Obviously the install wasn't thorough because of the debris that was left underneath and it wasn't done to the requested specifications. We've spoken with the business that we purchased it from and who installed it and they've offered to make it right and have been working with us to get it solved.

I really like sheet vinyl for this particular room. I like that I don't have to worry about water on it and that I can clean it so easily. Do we have them put down a new sheet of this same vinyl? Should we look at another brand of sheet vinyl?

The store suggested vinyl planks instead, but I am very hesitant about it because this rec room has a bathroom that will be used when we are in and out of the pool and kids don't exactly mop up water puddles right away. I worry standing water will compromise the seams between the planks.

Is Congoleum Armorocore a decent product for our needs? Should we consider something else? Any ideas?

Comments (3)