SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kelly_tregaskiscollova

Lady Ashe

Anyone grow Lady Ashe Rose?

Comments (33)

• vasue VA
    7 years ago

Lady Ashe aka Dixieland Linda has happily graced this garden for 8 years or more. Great rose here - very disease resistant no spray, very generous with very fragrant & rapidly repeating blooms. Except for the apricot color of its flowers, nearly identical to Aloha (Boerner '49) from which it sported. Tip hardy here even after the Polar Vortex Winters of '13 & '14, but I'm seeing it rated only to zone 5 at Rogue Valley Roses & Chamblee's. http://www.roguevalleyroses.com/search/node/aloha https://www.chambleeroses.com/order/Weeks-Roses//Lady-Ashe/469

Kelly Tregaskis Collova thanked vasue VA
  • Kelly Tregaskis Collova
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I have it on order from chamblees but haven't heard much about it. THANK YOU for the info!! I would love to see pics when she starts blooming!

• Related Discussions

Lady Ashe

Q

Comments (10)
    I really like this rose! I bought it as Dixieland Linda from Rogue Valley, and the number of climbers that can look remotely impressive on own roots in zone 5 are few and far between. So far, most of my pictures are only from 2 years old, but she's already to the top of a 6' fence and that's impressive in itself. In contrast, my New Dawn is 4 years old and only getting beyond 3-4 feet this year. Dixieland Linda is nicely hardy, has clean dark green foliage, and nice HT-like flowers. Again, most climbers that do well in zone 5 have more open semi-double blooms, so this is a nice treat as well. I'll post a photo of the blooms then an idea of the bush so far. Given that it's only 2 years old, it's not that impressive yet nor expected to be, but for a 2-year-old climber it's really fantastic. I've bought another one from Chamblee's last year, and I rarely repeat roses, so that says something on my part. Daisy - I'd be interested if this rose bloom is like yours. The color is pretty true to what I see in real life. Not the apricot I'd wished for, but a nice clean pink in my world. Cynthia
    ...See More

Jaune Desprez, Kordes Aloha, or Lady Ashe/Dixieland Linda

Q

Comments (14)
    Of these roses I only have 'Jaune Desprez'. I would be concerned about your zone in its case, but have no personal experience to go on as I live in a mild climate. My plant is currently about 17' x 10'--something like that, it's big--trained up a balcony, and is thirteen years old. JD in my garden is big, lax, thorny--really notably thorny--has beautiful foliage that is deciduous. Mine is basically spring blooming, but I don't water it and we have a regular long summer drought; I believe it blooms much more with summer water. The blooms are beautiful, the color of ice cream, and are fragrant, with a musk scent that carries on the air. Hardiness apart, JD is a tough rose, tolerant of poor soil and part shade. It gets more disease than some of my roses, but nothing serious, and nothing to bother it. I like 'Jaune Desprez' for its grace and somewhat wild air, for its fragrance and the beauty of its blooms, for its toughness. It has a reputation for being a slow starter, which I found to be true; my grafted plant didn't bloom at all its first year. With me it gets an annual pruning in March, to cut out the oldest growth and retie the canes. I cut up the pruned growth and throw it down around the base of the rose, and that's maintenance for the year.
    ...See More

I really love lady ashe/Dixieland Linda. Others that would do well?

Q

Comments (6)
    Here I come waving the " flamenco Rosita " flag!! The scent is lighter but still there. It will grow like crazy. Bloom it's head off and not quit . Very vibrant but not obnoxiously so. I'm in zone 7 so no die back even a little bit , not sure where you are ? I think it is amazing It's the bright pink in the back. By end of summer the gold trellis disappeared under the canes and it became as wide past the purplecrose on the left. ( violets pride , boscobel is the little guy on the right. ) I hope that's sort of what you are asking for !
    ...See More

Overwintering These Young Roses....?

Q

Comments (2)
    Sink the pots in the ground. It will be better insulation for the roots than the garage and you won't need to water because they will get rain and snow all winter. Anything you can plant, do so as soon as possible. Being in the ground is always the best way to winter roses.
    ...See More
  • nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    7 years ago

Hi Kelly

I have two of these, one as Dixieland Linda and one as Lady Ashe. They are pretty much cane hardy for me in zone 5, so they should be at least root hardy for you in zone 4 (or at least a good chance of it). She might not climb as much, but she'd still be lovely as a large shrub if she doesn't climb.

This is a bloom shot from last year - she does have a nice apricot tone that tends toward pink in hot weather.

Cynthia

Kelly Tregaskis Collova thanked nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
  • vasue VA
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Cynthia, great mug shot!

Bought a second one from Chamblee's this time last year. It came in an oversize pot with a Biltmore Gardens Rose tag. My original is also own root. The Chamblee's rose graduated into larger pots for planting out any day (now that the re-roofing's done & whenever the rain relents so the garden's dry enough to dig). It's grown into a sturdy 4' tall well-branched shrub in the meantime & thrown a new basal cane this season. Knowing it wouldn't be planted out till this Spring, last year pinched for branching & only left one bud to open, hoping to increase the root mass. Believe this is an inherently strong enough cultivar to not need this treatment, but like to get some heft to climbers before letting them loose in this country garden with deer.

Kelly, here's hoping you come to love & enjoy this rose as much as I do!

• enchantedrosez5bma
    7 years ago

So glad to read so many comments praising Lady Ashe. I have 2 coming from Chamblee's the end of this week to replace my Compassion roses which suffer severe winter cane loss even though they do survive the winter.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Mine just came!!

Original Author
    7 years ago

Cynthia- are yours own root? How big do yours get in zone 5?

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    7 years ago

HI Kelly

Yes, both of mine are own root, one several years ago from Vintage and one more recently from Chamblees (when I didn't realize Lady Ashe was a synonym for Dixieland Linda). The Dixieland one is older and is starting to climb the fence nicely. I don't know if it would grow enough to cover an arch, but it's at least 6' high and growing taller than that laterally on a large fence. It grows something like my Colette and Lunar Mist, where it's happy putting out laterals from a few main canes bent sideways. Be sure to train those main canes and be patient with it. It's pretty darned hardy, but takes its time putting down roots before it gets a lot of height.

Cynthia

Kelly Tregaskis Collova thanked nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
  • vasue VA
    7 years ago

Looking good, Kelly! Enchantedrose, how's your pair? Compassion's been on my "list" for some years. Concerned that it suffered severe cane loss for you in MA in 6a, on average only 10 degrees colder than here in 7a. Like my plants at least a full zone, if not two, hardier for those zinger Winters that come through every once in a while...

• enchantedrosez5bma
    7 years ago

Hi Vasue- I got my Lady Ashe a couple weeks ago. One is planted and one is still potted since I'm redoing my whole garden bed, tearing out all the DA's, too much black spot and poor growth, and replanting Kordes and Easy Elegance. Both look really healthy so far.

As for Compassion, we are high elevation, about 900 feet above sea level so, though our area of Massachusetts is technically listed as zone 6a, I think for all intents and purposes we're closer to 5b since -15 is not unheard of though not as common as it used to be. Snow cover is also iffy now and we often don't get snow until late January but still have brutally cold temps. All of my Kordes came through mostly unscathed. Golden Gate suffered the worse but it was one of my smallest plants purchased own root last June so I think it will do better as it ages. Cl Rosanna had almost no cane loss and is already growing like crazy. Most of my Kordes roses are only on their second year so still just babies but they took our crazy winter in stride.

I love Compassion, she smells divine and has gorgeous blooms so no shovel pruning for her :) I'll just grow her as a shrub instead.

Sharon

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

I just got a Lady Ashe 2-3 weeks ago from Chamblees. I had 2 beautiful blooms so far( it came with buds). I have a Compassion in my garden, a 2nd year band, it had winter dieback, I am not sure if it could climb here, no blooms yet. Glad to know it's a good rose.

Sharon, I am in 6a too, all the DAs are doing good here. I wished I could save yours, Ship them over I pay postage. :-)

• enchantedrosez5bma
    7 years ago

Summersrythm- too funny. I'm actually giving them to a very good friend of mine who was recently diagnosed with Stage IV stomach cancer. We were supposed to plant a rose garden together and order from RU/Chamblees when she was diagnosed in January. Her husband doesn't mind fussing with them and all the pampering they need. Some look pretty good, others fair, others are going in the woods. But she'll have some nice ones including Tranquility, Boscobel, Munstead Woods and Maid Marion. I kept Charlotte since she's pretty good for BS resistance, Lady of Shalot, Crown Princess Margarete, Gentle Hermione, the Generous Gardener which is very healthy, Darcy Bussels and St. Cecelia even though she black spots like crazy but she flowers even when bare and smells wonderful. I just surrounded her with lots of camouflage to hide her embarrassment!

I love my Compassion rose. She gave me about 4 flushes her first year, smells delicious and is very healthy. Hopefully she'll do well as a large shrub. I have a Buck rose, Folksinger, that suffers lots of dieback in winter but grows like a fiend come spring so fingers crossed that as Compassion's root system develops she'll put out top growth quickly. It's always an adventure ;-)

One Lady Ashe came with one puny flower with no scent, the second had no buds but both look really healthy so far. Hopefully she'll take our very erratic winters in stride.

Sharon

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

Glad to hear you won't put them in a garbage can, they are going to a good home. That's what I would do. Your friend is very lucky to have you, and you are doing a good deed! :-)

I am very attached with a pair of my neighbors, they're in their low 80's. The wife has been in the hospital ICU for more than 2 weeks, and the husband just got back home from hospital. They got sick at the same time, and their kids are finding them a home. This past a couple years I have been planting a lot of cutting roses in the yard so they could have a better view and have some cutting roses. This year I added a lot of ramblers climbing on the trees that facing their sunroom......now it looks like they won't be able to see all that, they are moving out this summer. Enjoy your friends, and treasure your friendship, life is too short. I hope my neighbor could get out ICU soon, so I could bring her a lot of fragrant roses.

• enchantedrosez5bma
    7 years ago

What a sweet gesture.

I agree that life is short so we need to grab all the moments we can. My friend Rose is getting chemo weekly so sometimes she feels good after it, sometimes not but we try to get together when she's feeling well. She also was diagnosed with gluten intolerance so I try find desserts to make to satisfy her sweet tooth. I recently made a flourless chocolate cake with raspberry sauce. It was so yummy we had some first thing in the morning. Next up is a gluten free cheesecake with strawberry topping for our next visit.

I also found a really sweet faux water feature for her garden that I'm hoping we'll be able to make together if she's feeling well enough. She loves crafting and is a gifted artist. I was able to find the exact teapot used in the teapot garden ornament. Now I just need to find the rest of the pieces I need to assemble it.

sharon

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

You're a such good friend! The faux water feature is so pretty. Good luck on finding all the pieces, it would put smile on her face for sure. It's difficult to live with gluten intolerance, a wife of one of the riders in our riding club has it, she couldn't eat anything at annual picnic. Oh, your friend has some difficulties in her life journey, let's hope she will be cancer free soon, keep cheering her up! :-)

• enchantedrosez5bma
    7 years ago

:-)

• vasue VA
    7 years ago

Enchantedrose, thanks so much for sharing your experience with Compassion! You convinced me to order one from RU yesterday. We're only 500' above sea level, on a bit of a bluff in the foothills leading up to the Blue Ridge. Both Westerly & Northerly wind funnels cross the property, so prudent siting for Winter gales gratefully noted.

Roses for Rose - and flourless sweets - and the charm of teatime in the garden - what a treasure you are. My best to you & your dear Rose.

Lady Ashe may well surprise you with her generosity of bloom & heady perfume as she grows up a little more. Still think of her as Dixieland Linda, more exuberant than sedately ladylike. May she grace your garden as she has mine.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Just got a few blooms this year from her, but hopefully she will survive our winter and reward me next year...

• Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
    7 years ago

My Lady Ashe is finishing its 4th. year. Got it as a gallon in the spring of 2013_from Chamblee's. What a rose.

It is 6' in either direction on a 4' high fence, and still growing. The flowers have so much substance they remind me of the plastic artificial blooms of years gone by. Queen of the deep roses, Lady Ashe reminds me of a layer cake. Outstanding fragrance. High petal count. Quartered centers. Long lasting blooms that are very slow to drop their petals. Heavy spring bloom with clusters of 3-4 flowers. Repeats remarkably well for a climber. Repeats all summer into fall, when it essentially turns into a climbing hybrid tea with 2'+ laterals with a single bloom. Great for cutting. Tip hardy for me with no protection.

Now comes the negatives, all very minor. Smallish blooms, 3.5-4" max. Some blackspot, some defoliation if not sprayed (I spray almost religiously). More than average thorns, but not monstrous thorns. Slow to get established, but will get there with great rewards, just be patient...all climbers fall into this pattern of slow but determined early growth.

I highly recommend Lady Ashe. My only concern is its winter hardiness for you. If it is not tip hardy yet a substantial amount of last years growth remains in spring, you're. "in like Flint". Lady Ashe needs about 2/3 of last year's growth pruned each spring for me or it will be enormous , so even 1/2 die back of new growth would be acceptable.

• ta2440
    5 years ago

Received 2 lady ashe climbers from chamblee fall of 2017. They were pruned back to about 8 inches. Planted them by a newly built arbor. Early spring they began to grow to at least 24 inches. They had the most beautiful fragrant peach blooms. Now all petals have fallen off. Do i deadhead? I live in east texas were temps can reach triple digits.When the canes get a little longer i will give them a little help to climb. Any suggestions to get these started up the arbor..

• enchantedrosez5bma
    5 years ago

ta2440- Paul Zimmerman has an excellent video on youtube to show how to train a climbing rose and how to prune when ready. Heirloom also has either a video or tutorial.

My Lady Ashe came through the winter in Massachusetts zone5b with very little winter damage. I'm ordering two more for another arbor. She seems to be one tough Lady!

sharon

• witchygirrl6bwv
    5 years ago

Even with that crazy summer spell in February, mine had no die back. I planted her May last year (Chamblee), and focused on putting the canes she threw up as horizontal as I could get them. She is lined with laterals on those canes now. I'm assuming each one will have a bloom. I only got blooms on the cane ends last year, because she was a baby, but Moses is right. Layer cake that keeps opening larger, and absolutely stunning. I think this rose should be more popular, and anyone that likes climbers even a little, would be thrilled with her. Maybe it's because my blooms were from the cane ends, or maybe it was tons of alfalfa tea, but I definitely had some over 4 inches. It could be an optical illusion because of the layers, but they looked large to me. lol If I ever have a spot to plant a wall full, I will. I'm seriously thinking of putting them on my arbor I'm putting up, even though I would prefer a purple. Maybe I can have her go toward the top, and Quicksilver for the lower. I don't think it will clash because mine have a lavender tint on the outer petals, with peachy centers. She did bloom pink in the fall after a frost though. Also I figure if Quicksilver has die back here, it will still fill in the bottom. I just got one, so I don't know how that one will do over winter yet, but if the size is listed correct, it wouldn't be tall enough on it's own anyway. (WOW I rambled big time. Really impressed with her!)

• Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Witchy,

I have a sneaking suspicion you are right, that Quick Silver, in spite of its ADR designation, will have some, maybe more than some, dieback in colder zones. Its black spot resistance should be excellent if it falls in line with the other ADR winners' strong black spot resistance, but not its winter hardiness.

I am finding winter hardiness in zone 6 and further north among ADR winners to be somewhat lacking. I think this is because the majority of ADR test gardens in Germany are zone 7 and 6. They pass the test in the warmer zones, but wimp out just a zone colder.

ADR roses, however, seem to be great for black spot resistance no matter what zone they are grown in, going by the reports on them here on the Roses Forum. I think this is because black spot is not zone sensitive. It hits roses equally severely from zone 8-9, in Florida and Texas, to zone 5 and colder...just as long as there is sufficient humidity.

The trouble with tender climbers up north, unlike tender hybrid teas up here, is that their long canes cannot be protected. Even if the base of the climber is mounded two feet high with pine bark mulch, the exposed 8'+ canes are very vulnerable. Mound a tender hybrid tea that high, and you may even have to prune back perfectly healthy, survving live wood to get the bush shorter, to the height you want it to be after pruning.

Moses

• enchantedrosez5bma
    5 years ago

Witchygirrl and Moses- My Quicksilver had quite a bit of dieback. 'Honeymoon Arbor' is rock solid. The only cane I lost was one that got broken from the weight of the snow.

Withcygirrl- My LA has a lot of laterals too. Hoping I'll see more flowers on her this year. What a great idea to plant Quicksilver at her base. I had a couple of flowers on Quicksilver. they were luscious. I think I might move her while it's still cool to the base of my LA and treat her more as a shrub.

sharon

• ta2440
    5 years ago

Thank you for info

My first year with Lady Ashe. Love her.
    She was only about six inches when planted her October 2017. She produced a lot of blooms to be from a one gallon container. Now. Do I deadhead? I want her to grow so I can laterally train her up the arbor. I viewed the video suggested for climbing roses. Probably a long way from that.

• ta2440
    5 years ago

I watched the Paul Zimmerman video for climbing roses. All advice appreciated. I live in the most eastern part of Texas.

Jo Jo

• ta2440
    5 years ago

Alfalfa tea?

jo jo

• Lisa Adams
    5 years ago

Here’s my Lady Ashe today. I planted her in the the heat of July 2017 from a 1 gallon pot. I only snap off the spent blooms. She’s growing up the arbor like crazy! There’s a clematis Rooguchi planted with her. Lisa

• ta2440
    5 years ago

OMY! Beautful. I will snip off the spent blooms tomorrow. I love my clematis. I have these throughout the garden. Thanks for a great idea.

jo jo

• witchygirrl6bwv
    5 years ago

Jo Jo if you search this forum for alfalfa tea, you will find tons of info. A basic explanation is this - You take some alfalfa, (meal pellets or hay, I use meal) Mix about a cup per gallon of water in a bucket or trashcan. Stir it every day for at least 3 days. It has some kind of growth hormone that roses love. Give each rose 1/2 to a gallon. Baby 1 gal size own roots I got a gallon jug filled it half alfalfa tea, and half water. You can add in fish fertilizer or whatever, but do that part right before you use it, or it will multiply the stink.

EDIT to add this - Any of those canes you can get going sideways at an angle this year, will definitely give you laterals next year, and each lateral will have blooms on top. I see at least one that you could start moving toward that left post. Clip it to the left, if it gets long enough, bring it up and to the right, just back and forth as much as possible without breaking it.

• Lisa Adams
    5 years ago

Love your clematis, Jo Jo! Aren’t they fun? I love mixing them with my roses. I have lots of them throughout the garden and several more I need to get planted ASAP. They’re such perfect partners for roses. Lisa

• ta2440
    5 years ago

I will try alfalfa tea. Interesting. My Lady Ashe appears to be self-cleaning. I will give her time to clean spent blooms.

We will install wire on the arbor and try lateral idea with canes.

Love to see photos of your garden.

Jo Jo

Sponsored
Jennifer Gilmer Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Team | 11x Best of Houzz