SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
santamiller

Hail Damaged Hostas....One Month Later

santamiller
7 years ago

As some of you know, most of my hostas were close to completely wiped out in a rare but ferocious 15 minute hailstorm a month ago. A few were spared that had not come up yet but most were at least 1/3 - 1/2 grown and took the full impact. I took the advice here to leave them as is and let them recover as best they could. Most have been putting out new leaves since, and while they are not much to see they are at least not as catastrophic looking as they were, and still moving forward. I have trimmed off a few of the worst leaves from ones which have recovered the quickest but for the most part they are still as they were. Here are a few of them. Some had almost all of the leaves completely stripped from them. The worst ones I didn't even bother posting. Here's a sampling of where we are now.

To give you an idea of what the hail did to my live oaks and cedar elms, Susan and I picked up approx (in bag gallons) 1400 gallons of leaves knocked from the trees. You couldn't see the roof or driveway. This on only a 1/3 acre lot but completely covered in trees. It was mess. Surprisingly the trees still appear full of leaves.

Autumn Frost

Drinking Gourd

Fragrant Queen

Fried Bananas- this poor guy was mutilated but has almost completely recovered

High Society- this is the one that was up but somehow mostly protected by the trees. I have no clue how it escaped with such minor damage.

Luna Moth

Paul's Glory

Sum and Substance

Touch of Class is one of the 3 or 4 that had not emerged yet

Comments (11)