SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eliasgrace

Are side swing ovens possible if sandwiched between wall and fridge?

eliasgrace
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Will post in Kitchen Forum as well, but wondering if the Appliance folks had any thoughts....

After a long oven search, I finally settled on the Bosch Benchmark side swing double ovens after factoring in budget, functionality, reliability, style etc. I am particularly drawn to the side wing doors because I am petite and it would be great to not have to reach over oven doors to lift out heavy pans. Alas, my joy in finding an oven is short-lived b/c I just realized that since the oven sits between the fridge and the wall (see kitchen layout below):

1) If it is a right swing oven, the door opening will be restricted by the wall (there will only be 3/4 of cabinet box between the oven and the drywall) so the oven door can only open to 90 degrees.

2) If it is a left swing oven, the door will bump into the refrigerator door if it is open at the same time. Also, when oven door is open, since there is a counter right behind me, not sure if there is enough clearance for me to safely take out hot item and pivot to lay item on island countertop or pivot and lay item on counter behind oven? Also am I correct to assume with the left swing door that the door can open to greater than 90 degrees, even if next to fridge (assuming of course that the fridge door is closed and fridge and oven stack are flush)?

I really want to make this oven work! Would it be completely foolish to install a left swing double oven and just hope that nobody will open the fridge door at the same time? And hopefully there is enough clearance for me to pivot with door open?

Please note that kitchen layout is old (can't upload new one) and some things have changed but those changes don't affect the oven issue. Oh and the oven will be pulled out to be flush with the fridge (in diagram it is set back). I know the layout is FAR from perfect but in the end it works for us, and is the best we could do considering how the kitchen relates to different parts of the house. Would rather look for non-swing double ovens than change the layout....

Thank you guys for your input!

Comments (12)