SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cactusmama_pacnw

Details of repotting into gritty mix?

cactusmama_pacnw
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

HI!

So, I have figured out where to get all the ingredients for Al's Gritty Mix in my area, and I have set aside all day tomorrow to mix it up and repot all my plants into it. I'm excited for the project! There a just a few little details that I am concerned about and have not been able to find an answer to by searching the forums. I am hoping someone can lend me their expertise :)

1. Of the plants I am hoping to repot, 10 of them are tiny, baby cacti and succulents, some no more than an inch tall. I repotted all of them into a cactus mix/perlite mixture about a week and a half ago. I barely disturbed their roots, however some of them are so small that they have barely any roots to speak of. Would it be beneficial to repot them into gritty mix now, or would it be better to wait until they have established stronger root systems? Here is a photo of them:

Some are very healthy, but my tiny Echeveria is very etoliated, and a few of the others were already stressed when I got them - I rescued the tiger jaws and the tree like ones (I can't remember their name, but the tall skinnies that are not p. afra variegata).

2. Should I soak the mix for a period of time before I use it, should I water thoroughly immediately after repotting, or should I do both? And is it true that the rule about not watering succulents for 2 weeks after repotting does not apply if you use gritty mix?

In addition to all the little guys, I am repotting another Echeveria and an Aloe, both of which I just got; five cactuses, all the same species, which I rescued a few months ago from a life of neglect; a small Angel Wing Begonia, a small Heartleaf Philodendron, a small Neon Pothos, an Asparagus Fern, and a small Ficus tree.

Thanks so much for your time everyone, your advice means a lot! ♡

Comments (16)