SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

as requested, a few more Norcal pictures

davidrt28 (zone 7)
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Firstly, two big old lepidotes with interesting bark at Mendocino Coast Botanic Garden.

R. maddenii ssp. maddenii

R. parryae aka johnstoneanum. There aren't many places in the CONUS where you can see these plants.

Towering branches of the closely related R. ciliicalyx..bigger flowers than most of our lepidotes, and scented too.

'Cornubia', the older tender red hybrid I prefer over 'Bibiani', which seemed to have more of a tendency to lean towards purple/blue on some flowers.

Another tender lepidote, 'Saffron Queen', huge planting in full bloom.

Also one of the few places in the CONUS you can see this rhodie relative, the South African Erica verticillata. I wish they'd had more South African heaths, the variety of them is absolutely astonishing.

An overview of the plantings:

I was a bit disappointed they didn't have somewhat taller rhodies, but it isn't a very old garden. They will get there. The pink ones on the center and right are camellias.

The king of the reds though is plain old R. elliottii. Theirs aren't as big as the various R. arboreum hybrids in this garden, although I suspect in the wild they can get much larger. The flower have not a hint of bluing at any stage. I find this is true with the various hybrids too: the progeny of R. elliottii or the closely related R. facetum make some of the best reds. It was interesting to see that a lot of the R. arboreums and R. delavayis don't have such a perfect red, as with their offspring like 'Bibiani'. There are selected R. arboreum with a very pure red color, I've seen those for sale on my previous trip at Berkeley Horticultural Nursery, which I didn't visit this time. I think one of those cultivars is called 'Doctor Bowman' but it would have been done blooming by this time year in the Bay Area.

Next post, more from Sonoma Horticultural Nursery. (no relation to Berkeley Horticultural Nursery! Amazingly, a 3rd, upstart in the area has appended this onto their name LOL)

Comments (9)

Sponsored