SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pippiep

HUGE master bedroom; TINY master bath

pippiep
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I'm getting way ahead of myself, as our kitchen remodel is going to start any day now. We know we want to do something with the master bath in the next year or so. It's the original 1978 bathroom; never updated (pinky-beige tile and toilet). It feels very small. We came from a house with a roomy master bath, and my husband and I miss being able to get ready together. -- this has had a huge impact on us.

What would you do with this? We don't want to spend needlessly... our kitchen reno is coming in more than triple what we'd hoped to do it for (not knowing anything about pricing).

We plan to be here for another 15-20 years, but will not be aging gracefully in this house -- it is so completely inaccessible that if one of us becomes disabled, we will have to move. Basement garage, stairs everywhere, narrow hallways, and narrow doorways.

Our bedroom is huge, but we also have huge furniture so we have no wall space left. We're willing to cut down the bedroom size for the bathroom, or absorb the (second!) hallway linen closet and 5th BR closet. We have a 4BR septic, so can never sell this house as a 5BR. That room is our home office. There is a brand new duct going through the closet from the attic to the first floor for the central A/C we had put in, and also in one of our walk-in closets (marked on the floorplan as circles).

Needs:

• Two sinks
  • Big shower for two
  • Move the doorway to the bathroom so that it's not right next to our bed
  • Move the doorway to our bedroom so that it encloses the walk-in closet that's currently in the hallway
  • Some enclosed storage for extra towels, etc. (Doors to keep the cats out; no open shelving.) I like to keep my stuff put away, so I don't need a lot of counter space.

• Separate tub, deep enough to soak in, but can be one of those compact Japanese style tubs. Or else, no tub (there's a tub down the hall).
  • Would love to figure out a way to do a toilet closet.

Current specs:

• Vanity: 83" wide
  • Typical shower/tub combo
  • 82" along window wall; this wall has baseboard heat
  • 117" along toilet/door wall
  • Toilet sits a few inches away from the wall for some reason, so we have to be careful not to sit back all the way otherwise the tank cover slides back and might fall.
  • The garage is two floors down from the MBR, so there is a cement wall running from front to back.

I'm also considering joining the two walk-in closets, and keeping only the hallway door. That would give us more wall space to move furniture around if we do expand the bathroom into the bedroom.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH